Root Canal Issue

Posted , 1 user is following.

On January 5th I woke up with extreme tooth pain. I knew it had to be either a root canal I had been neglecting, or a grown wisdom tooth with a cavity that I was told previously I needed to remove - both on the right side. My dentist retired last year and I have been looking for a new one. I found a dentist who was open on Sundays, he was able to look at me same day. He decided a root canal was needed, sent me home with antibiotic in case of infection and 800mg of ibuprofen for pain. I went home, couldn't stand the pain so I called him again and he agreed to start on the root canal same day. That alleviated some pain. And we scheduled the second phase for a few days later.

However, Monday the 6th the pain came back in the afternoon. I called him he said to come in and he did more work on the tooth. He let me know i had 4 canals instead of 3. He did some more work on the root canal. He noticed that I could still feel pain even when numbed and wondered if my pain was being heightened by the wisdom tooth on the top. He numbed the top and the pain went away. As a result, he removed the wisdom tooth - very easy took all of 5 seconds. That seems to be healing nicely. All week I felt no pain until my next appointment which was yesterday, the 13th. I felt some pain. During the procedure I felt some pain and he showed me that one of my canals was curved. At the end he told me he would finish up the procedure on Friday, the 17th and then we would wait a week and then put a crown on. I went home in a lot of pain and finally had to use the ibuprofen. It is now Monday and I feel minimal pain.

I am concerned. 1. He did not use a dental dam and I read that they are necessary during a root canal. Since he is being negligent with that I wonder what else he is being negligent with. 2. Why so many visits? At the end of this I'll have been there 4 times and then once more for the crown. I tried calling around to see if I could switch to an endodontist at this point, but that would wipe out my dental coverage for the year and I would need to pay out of pocket for a crown. Has anyone ever had a similar experience or can offer some advice here? Part of me tells me to stick it out for the one more appointment and hope he is doing his job right, part of me tells me to eat the cost and switch.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.