Root canal pain years later

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just posting this as a warning if you are considering a root canal. I have very soft teeth and have had around 4-5 root canals in past 15 years. Four of which have gone bad after thousands of dollars spent on root canal procedures and crowns...last fall 2016, I was in extreme pain with a tooth that had been root canaled and crowned years ago....and I had even been telling my doctor for several years now that the tooth was giving me pain. He brushed it under the rug and told me the X-ray showed nothing and the tooth was dead so it couldn't be hurting. So last November 2017 while in Florida on vacation, I was so excruciating pain. I ended up seeing a dentist there in Florida in the middle of the night..his X-ray showed huge abscess...gave me antibiotics and pain meds to get me home until I see my dentist. Meanwhile, the entire left side of my jaw starts swelling as well as my neck. Got home, went to my dentist and they acted like it was no big deal and just states that I should continue on antibiotics. I demanded that I wanted the tooth out. Found myself an excellent oral surgeon. He took a fancy 3D image and the abscess was HUGE! I needed emergency surgery to get it out. But the infection had already started moving into my jaw and down into my neck. Even after the tooth was extracted, the infection was still in my body. Major antibiotics were not killing the infection. I ended up needing a drainage tube placed up through my neck into my jaw area where the tooth had been to try and get the infection drained. Weeks and weeks I had to go back to surgeon. I now have a small scar on my neck but it's so worth it because that infection could have Jill's me. So please be careful. I now have another root canal tooth that is starting to hurt. I am going to dentist and demanding referral to oral surgeon for removal. I am not playing around anymore. Severe  tooth pain abscess is awful and so dangerous. I will need to get partial in back or implants. Hope my experience helps someone out there. Don't mess around with your teeth.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your helpful words of advice, Angie! Like you said, don't mess around with your teeth...or your health! You alone know your body. And, if something doesn't feel right, you need to politely demand to be treated or go to someone else who will treat you with the dignity & respect you deserve!

• Posted

Hey, I had almost same happened to me, I had necrotic bone removed from lots of sites from previous extracted teeth, not healed well years later, and abscess developed after surgery. It drained on its own. How do you know all infection is gone from the bone? 
  • Edited

I had similar experiences, being in pain and insisting to have a tooth removed. Teeth with a root canal can become brittle over time and can develop cracks that are hard to spot on an x-ray. This can lead to an inflammation of the bone structure at the tip of the dental root and eventually an abscess.

In my opinion, a good dentist should discuss this with the patient and explain how long the tooth is expected to last. This is even more important if a crown has to be fitted as it adds to the treatment costs.

In my case, each tooth with a root canal failed after a few years. And I brush regularly, floss daily, and have a professional dental cleaning at least once a year. In the end, I opted to replace missing teeth with dental implants which might be a more permanent solution if the bone structure is healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.