Root nerve oedeme- mri result - is this slipped disc?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - complicated history but had mri result said:

Lowest 3 lumbar discs are deydrated and L5/S1 has lost height

At L4/5 a right latural disc bar is narrowing the exit foramen. causing mild right L4 nerve root oedma.

I take amytriptalyne 30mg at night, co-codamol  2 x 30/500mg 4 times a day, on day 5 of 300mg three times a data Gabapentin....

I am having physio weekly - my pain is really bad and wish the pills would kick in, I think Gaba take 2-3 weeks to work.

Any advice would help - booking a further GP appointment next week.

I have PsA by the way on methatraxte 12.25mg per week.

But smile and am positive :-)

Your thoughts most appreciated.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Similar symptoms as me.

I'm having my second discectomy in 3 weeks time as the drugs and nerve blocks havent offered any real relief and my pain is becoming disabling. Have you been offered surgery?

• Posted

Hi - onlyjust got the result so no discussion on long term / surgery

Hoping the Gatapentin starts to help.....

Are my results long term do you think or likely to recover.. this is all new to me, thanks.

• Posted

You make sure you keep your spirits up and be positive, you have enough to content with without the back trouble.

I have L3/4 & 5 degenerative discs with L5/S1 bulge, also issues with my sacroiliac joint along with nerve problems in my leg because of it, bla bla bla. I certainly know what you're feeling and where you're coming from, you just write it from their fancy text book, whereas I say my back is totally goosed! Haha

I take 8x Tramadol with 2x Naproxen and 8x Paracetamol to boost plus 5x Amytriptalyne, if it's a comfort, they don't help me much either and it's been months - sorry, I'm just being honest. I've knocked what I take down too as some of the harder stuff I was taking sent my do-lally! Speak to them if this happens to you.

I've had back trouble for absolutely years and going from the bottom up, have gone through physio, alternative routes, crazy stuff, injections to surgery a few years ago.

I will simply say, you're not alone, eventually you will go through the standard  recovery plan, medication, physio, injections, surgery. I've got the T-shirt, but that's me so I'm going with the pain management team this time as other than more invasive surgery, I have nothing else to try. It's all standard stuff to them and unless you have history, like me, you have chance to wait for weeks for each different thing. Be realistic about your situation, do what you are able to and keep your head in a sensible place. Push and push again, your physio lot will eventually send you to MSK who will refer you to a consultant for direct assistance, this is probably what you need, try to get under a consultant who will be more realistic with you.

Take each day as it comes but push for more help, keep smiling :0)

• Posted

I could have written the last post. I have been through "the routine " of what is expected of you to do. My problem is they cannot actually decide exactly what is the problem, they have just guessed basically. I found the gaberpentin  good at first for the sciatic pain but after a few months nothing. 

Next step is an op but they can't actually confirm what for! 

Just make sure you record everything and understand what they are doing to you and why. It's a minefield. 

Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.