Rosace / Seb Derm & Red Nose

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all. I am a 40yr old male and have been suffering with Rosacea / Seborrheic Dermatitis since my later teenage years, it has gradually worsened in the last 10. Over the last 10 years I must have spent well over €5000 on consultations, 'treatments' etc and I look at myself today thinking it was all money down the drain. I have been prescribed antibiotics, roaccutane, hydrocortisone, rosex, locoid, skinoren, nizoral, selsun and probably many more!, I have had laser treatment, most recently about 18 months which certainly did more damage than good.

The redness now is very, very prominent on my nose. It has dominated my personal and professional life over these last 10 years, I have lost confidence and it always on my mind. When people meet me they generally rub their noses. Most people are kind and wouldn't actually say anything. I have 2 daughters (8 & 5), yesterday one came home from school and said one of her classmates had asked why her Daddy has a very red nose. this was not the first time It breaks my heart to think that she is going to put up with this at school and have to defend me to the other kids. In the last 6 months the seb derm has been very bad also, mainly around the jaw, on my chin. I have recently started trying washing / soaking my face in dead sea salt which is a great relief initially but doesn't seem to relieve for too long unfortunately. Can anybody recommend anything to me or am I going to be stuck like Rudolph for the rest of my life, I have addressed diet and tried to cut out the usual triggers, if I exercise it gets worse, if I don't exercise it gets worse, if I eat my daily allowance of fruit & veg it gets worse, if I don't it gets worse! It is getting to the stage where I don't want to leave the house for fear of embarrassing my kids. Help please!

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I successfully fighted off rosacea and demodecosis by seen an antrophosophic doctor and getting a complex treatment. In addition, I used the oinment which I prepared on my own just followed another people advice, and also I used a proper wood tar soap (bought from abroad) twice a day and when I took a shower. No other shower gel or shampoo. That treatment had taken 4 months to treat the condition which poisoned my life for 3 years. :-)
  • Posted

Hello Matt,

Just to update you on progress to date.

I continue to be impressed with the Brimonidine. It works well and is a reliable method of reducing the redness.

In the past I have had a problem that in cold weather, if I get cold  the redness changes to a blue colour which is as bad if not worse than the redness. I am hopeful that as the Brimonidine works by reducing the amount of blood at the surface, this will also become less of a problem. I will let you know.

My problem still seems to be the spots and pustules. The Alaelic acid seened to help for a while and them became less effective so I switched to metronidazole. That seemed to work for a while but seemed to clog up the pores. As I had both creams/gels, I tried alternating, metronidazole at night and azaelic acid in the morning. This produced a great  improvement.

I was a bit concerned as I was experimenting a bit and was not really following the last advice from my doctor, so I decided to do a little research to see if the medications could be combined in this way. I found an artical on MedicineNET where this approach has been used successfully. I have copied the artical below 

"Some patients elect combination therapies and notice an improvement by alternating metronidazole and azelaic acid: using one in the morning and one at night. Sodium sulfacetamide (Klaron lotion) is also known to help reduce inflammation. Other topical antibiotic creams include erythromycin and clindamycin (Cleocin).Recently a new topical prescription gel has become available designed to relieve the redness so characteristic of rosacea. Brimonidine gel (Mirvaso) applied once a day can produce a prolonged period of blanching of previously red skin in rosacea patients".

I am not proposing anyone experiments without medical advice, but it may be worth enquiring with your doctor/dermatologist as to weather it may be suitable in your case. I know that everyone is different, but so far it seems I seem to be working for me. Not perfection, but better than for a long long time and moving in the right direction.

In the past, by now I would have been back to the doctors asking to go back onto doxycycline. Not needed now! So far so good!

Good luck with your treatment.

Peter

• Posted

Just thought I'd give an update on the Mirvaso / Briomidine. I used it for the first time on Wednesday morning at about 7am. The early signs were nothing short of amazing, I could almost see the redness disappearing before my eyes, by about 7.45 my skin looked like it used to look like 20 years ago, incredible stuff. The tip of my nose was still a little bit mottled looking but still a great improvement. I went into work almost a different person, full of confidence.

Now I had to remember that this is not a permanent cure, they are quite clear on it's 12 hour effectiveness but I suppose you cling to hope that maybe it'll stay like this! At about 5pm I noticed the redness return and my goodness when it came back it came back with a bang, so this is the rebound redness I'd heard about. Luckily I was at home when it happened, for a couple of hours it looked worse than ever. The next couple of days saw similar results, yesterday I think the good results lasted for a shorter time, no where near 12 hours, more like 5 or 6. I'm quite disappointed but I will give it another week or so and experiment with the amount that I use and just hope that the rebound redness isn't quite as bad. I suppose that it highlights that the blood vessels are clearly the problem so surely a long term cure can't be too far away. Back to the drawing board I think!

• Posted

Hello Matt,

I hope you can make progress towards controlling your Rosacea.

I don't seem to suffer the rebound problems that you do. The redness does return, which is a bit depressing, but I was expecting it to. Experience has shown me that the redness has always got worse as the day goes on anyway with stress, physical activities, ultraviolet, food triggers etc all playing a part. So as the brimonidine wears off the result can be alarming, but in my case I don't think there is much difference in where I would be if I had not used it.

However, so far I have been able to manage this by timing it's use carefully to get the maximum advantage. For example, in the morning I will apply it a few minutes before going out of the door knowing that there will be a continual improvement during the next 30 minutes so getting the maximum time.

There have been times in the past few weeks when I knew that I would be the focus of attention, (competitions, meetings etc) and have been able to make sure that my appearance has been ok. This has been of a great help to me.

I will keep you updated with my progress, and I would be interested to know how you get on, as I am sure would a lot of people who will read this forum.

I agree with your optimism that this treatment may not be perfect but is a basis for further development.

Take care.

Peter

• Posted

Hi Matt, have you had any relief from your skin woes? I have seb dermatitis and recently broken veins on my cheeks. Am desperate fix my skin and to prevent this from getting any worse and would love to hear that something has worked for you.

Kind regards,

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kathy,

I've found that the seb derm can be controlled by washing my face at night with quite hot water to which I add sea salt (I use Dead Sea spa Magik Dead Sea bath salts). The then swill this over my wash for a minute or so and then splash cold water over my face. I have been doing this for approx 2 years or so and it has made a massive difference to the dry skin. My redness is still not good though so I am resigned to just trying to cover this up as well as a man can do without it being completely obvious I'm wearing make up!! I just apply a bit of Clinique redness solutions pressed powder to take the shine off the redness on my nose.

I hope some of this helps and I wish you all the best for the future.

• Posted

Thank you Mike i appreciate your reply. I tried them dead sea salts before and it didn't help me. I also tried apple cider vinegar previously and it worked for a while but but then my skin felt become even more sensitive. Sore broken veins developed on my cheeks and my skin seems to have aged dramatically so I'm reluctant to try even home remedies at this point. Like you said previously ..the search comtinues!

Kind regards,

Kathy

• Posted

Hi matt95821 this terribe word Rosace is very new to me i am Female and iam 56 i think this it what   i may have but mine only started just over 2 weeks ago, i have never had spots on my face, my skin is usually fine, i have this on my chin, my left cheak and it started on my right cheek yesterday, they start of like litle red spots and then they go into larger flat then raised ones. My chin i would say is the worst. I trained as an Holistic Therapist so i know a little of how the body works.  i have never used moisturizer on my face i have make my own from time to time.  I am going through my Menopause i get hot flushes in the day my goodness my night time is the worst, my fan is on and off all night long. I swear by MANUKA honey for colds, i also use it for my face when i make a facepack. Last night my chin started itching slightly which  as you would know is very umcomfortable. I made a facepack of Manuka honey and a small amount of full fat Milt which i do not usually buy but had to for this. It stopped the itching, i looked in the mirrow a few hours later and it did not look so imflamed. My full facepack is this. 3 tablespoons of Nauural Yoghurt. I teaspoon of Manuka Honey. Half of an Avocardo and a tiny drop of fresh lemon juice, but watch your eyes with the lemon juice. I am gong to stick with the Manuka Honey it is very expensive but i would never be withought a couple of jars in the hosue, great for colds. Manuka Honey  has numbers on the Jar i get the 15 +. I am off to the Docs tomorrow and i will let you know how i get on. Someone mentioned on here that they used Caralmine lotion which i have not tried yet, i will stick with my Manuka honey and Full fat mik for now, make sure you wash it off after after 10 minutes only use what you make up once, i would only use it a couple of times a week.  I really feel for you and i hope i can help you a little. Take care and keep me up to date with how you are. 
  • Posted

I had terrible Rosecea. I had tried everything. My daughter suggested this dermalmd rosacea serum.its good.really works.

• Posted

Hello friend

I can see you have suffered alot socially, over past 10 years. I had this disease for past 3 years and finally I got a cure for it which I wanted to share with you. You may find it a bit weird but trust me the solution has worked wonders for me. Just apply fresh aloe vera on affected area 8-10 times a day for atleast 2-4 months. If all goes well you will see difference within a week. Obviously any treatment depends person to person, but this one proved miraculous one for me. You have tried so many things so pls give this a try. Since its purely natural it wont have side effects. Do let me know if it works for you.

All the best

Saurabh Sharma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.