Rosacea

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have rosacea, people automatically assume you drink heavily etc.  It is an embarassing condition and I would like to know if anyone has found any useful aids. I shower every morning with an anti-bacterial shampoo to try to fight the mites which are supposed to be responsible for this condition.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My sister is having same condition, so I can understand your feelings. It’s indeed very embarrassing problem that’s difficult to hide. She relies mainly on natural remedies to reduce her flares and it has helped her to great extent. Aloe Vera, cucumber slices can reduce flare-ups. There is no way currently, you can cure Rosacea, but you can certainly control them if you know your triggers. Heat can trigger it, so stay away from crowded or less ventilated places as much as possible, no need to say avoid direct sunlight. Stress, spicy foods can be few more triggers to mention.

There are many products available in market claiming blood vessels and pimples to make less visible, but one needs to check authenticity of such products before using them on already sensitive skin.

• Posted

I have had great luck washing my face with a sulfur based, prescription soap, or I just use Selsun Blue shampoo on my face in the shower as it has sulfer in it.  That and calamine lotion, which takes the red and heat out immediately.  I slather it on when I am alone and before bed if my face is red but I can even use it lightly when out in public and it still helps a lot.  Good luck to you...
    • Posted

Hi, Both those products are non-prescription so I'll give them a try, thanks.  I normally use Capasal which is prescription and is a coal tar product so is likely to have sulphur in it, this fixes the seborrheic dermatitis which is what was prescribed for, I believe it helps with my rosacea and blepharitis.  I shower every morning, not too hot and avoid spicy foods.
  • Posted

I'd be interested in hearing if these things help you, especially the calamine lotion which has been a lifesaver for me.  I haven't had a breakout in over a year and much fewer flushes which are helped with the calamine.  I do also try to avoid anything that makes me hot, hot showers and alcohol are big ones.  I can slather on the calamine lotion and then take a hot bath with no problem though smile  Good luck David!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.