Rotator cuff

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i suffered a shoulder injury 1 month ago i had xrays and there was no fractures then an MRI wich results i got back and one of the findings says ( the rotator cuff is intact without a high grade tear ) my doctor coulnt explain the mri results but i got referred to a diferent doctor. Does anyone kniw what that means?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

That sounds like good news to me. It does not say if there is a partial thickness tear or not. Hopefully they are sending you to an orthopedist who can explain better. and your shoulder will recover with some ice/rest/stretching/strengthening and no surgery. 
    • Posted

I appreciate your comment and yea i am getting sent to an orthopedist it just has me really anxious that my doctor coulnt explain the mri findings and that part i shares has me confused im not sure if i have a high grade tear or not ..

• Posted

the rotator cuff being intact is a good thing...it usually means no tear. Depending on the mechanism of your injury, it is possible to have strained the tendons, ligaments or to have a tear of the labrum, which is like a meniscus in the shoulder that helps hold the arm bone in the socket and the bicep tendon attaches to that. Have you lost strength and range of motion or you have pain? You should see if they can fax or e mail you a copy of your MRI report and do a little online research...but don't make yourself crazy with worry. I hurt my shoulder pretty badly but didn't go for x ray for 5 weeks...then orthopedist who sent me for MRI. I did have a big tear of the rotator cuff and the Dr recommended surgery but first did a cortisone shot, which helped quite a bit. 3 months after that I had surgery. But many, if not most, shoulder injuries can be managed without surgery. They may send you for some therapy. Until you know what has been damaged you should modify your activities to prevent pain. Many soft tissue injuries can take a couple months to start to feel better. Will be inerested to hear what your new Dr says. Hang in there!

• Posted

Thats really good to hear it means no tear to rotary cuff an yea i got a copy of mri wich also says i do have a labral tear and there is low grade tendinosis in the rotator cuff interval.. and at first i had limited movement with alot of pain but then pain got better and got most mibility back but doctor gave me a sling last week so i barely move it now..but i havnt done anything fisical since the injury
  • Posted

If your rotator cuff is intact that means that the 4 muscles that make up the cuff are stil attached to the bone. Without a high grade tear, I am thinking you do have a tear. What kind of doctor are they referring you to? 
    • Posted

Im honestly not sure what kind of doctor im going to see but my doctor said i might need surgery but she hasnt been any help at explaining anything.. but i do have a labrum tear as well
    • Posted

Hello, Hope everything works out for you!  So some searching online.  labrum tears.  If you use google use the tools feature to look at recent 2016 articles, papers, etc.  You have the right to know what kind of doctor you are being referred to.  Make sure it's an orthaepedist (orthopedist).  GOOD LUCK and post an update.  PS Use the sling and let it rest!!

• Posted

My MRI showed a torn labrium and 2 of the rotator cuff muscles completely torn off the bone. My good surgeon told me MRI's were not always correct and you just have to wait until you get in there to see what needs fixing. And that was just it. I am a nurse of 30years and the employer is asking what is wrong, how long will you be out. We don't know until we go in and look. I had a very tallented man put me back together and he did a fine job although it is a long road of physical therapy. Let us know how things turn out.

• Posted

Im defenetly doing as much research as i can and reading articles. I also believe i am getting referred to orthopedist doctor but not 100% sure , i will keep updating as i talk to my doctors.
    • Posted

My injury was at work so ive come to learn that the insurance has a really slow way of doing things . Im honestly hoping i dont need surgery but my main goal is to be able to return to work. Im 27 yrs old amd my injury was to right shoulder .im a commercial driver with a really physical job . How is your recovery going? How is your range of motion?
    • Posted

Work related can be really slow. Make sure they take care of you and yes learn all you can about a shoulder so you will know what they are talking about. I am at 10wks after surgery now. My range of motion physical therapy says is A +. I will finish i 12wks what most with my condition do in 16wks. I will not be able to lift with my right arm for 6mths plus due to the extent of my injury. I ended up with 8 anchors or screws. I have had my injuries some time as the muscles were wasted already. Therapy itself it good. I always medicate 15mins before I get there because it is the after" that is painful. I do the exercises I am given to do at home just like they say and then some. Physical therapy has been wonderful  in answering questions...should I do this or that? Why does this hurt. How come that is tight. I have wore them out. All the best to you. Feel free to holler back if you have any questions.

• Posted

Just an update its been 2 weeks since i was suppose to be referred to an orthopedist and so far havnt heard anything . This is so frustrating !! One of the most dificult things ive been through at moments i loose all hope.
  • Posted

I finally got to see my orthopedic doctor today and

got new xrays n she reviewed the mri findings

She said she didnt think there was any tear just

Irritated part and frozen shoulder from wearing the

Sling..so i will star pt in 2 weeks and hopefully it

All goes well overall im really happy.

• Posted

GREAT NEWS!!!!  HIP HIP HOORAY!!!  GOOD LUCK AND post updates!!!  Very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.