Rotator Cuff

Posted , 7 users are following.

First time posting on this site. I am 8 weeks post op and going to PT. I am very very weak when pushing outward with my effected arm when doing my exercise. I took a long walk on the beach yesterday and when I was finished my arm was killing me! I couldn't move my arm with out pain. Has anyone else had this pain in their arm/shoulder after a long walk. I was hoping that I did not re-injured the surgery site. This morning my arm feels better with pain but not like after my walk. Has anyone had experience with weakness try to push out from your body with some resistance doing your exercise? I was told by the doctor when I had a complete tare of my rotator cuff that this one of the indicators of a tare not to able to push out from your body with resistance. I do not have my appointment with the doctor until next month. Am I over reacting? Thanks for any input!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This is my 2nd repair. Had the rt one done last year and retore it 7 months post op (my fault). Had tve left one done 3/19. This one is a tough one. I'm still in pain. It's not unusual to be in pain 4,5 even 6 months post op. It does get better. PT is very important to keep up and you'll be exercising that shoulder for the rest of your life. I'm still on pain meds. I get so frustrated sometimes but you cant rush it.

• Posted

Hello Jule:

Is your 2nd repair a tendon transfer or a reverse shoulder replacement? And what is the prognosis of such procedures, will it restore ROM and strength?

Reason I ask is because my surgeon was considering a tendon transfer for me for my left shoulder because the tear was so bad.

Thanks

• Posted

it was a complete tear with bone spurs as well. He had to go in and shave bone and insert several anchors. Worst surgery of my life

• Posted

Take it easy at first...Listen to your physical therapist and ask questions or express concerns or worries. Use ice and even a tens machine to relieve pain.

Don't overdo things and don't be in a rush to lift heavy things. I'd say even after they give you the OK to go back to doing things that you did before, in fact, for the first 9-12 months don't over stress those tendons. It's a small price to pay for a lifetime investment and future of good shoulder health.

• Posted

yes, it is normal to be sore even after walking. I am past 2 years now. I had a splint on the arm for 6 weeks. I'm a cyclist but since I couldn't cycle was hiking. initially, my shoulder would get sore after hiking. That soreness subsided as the shoulder got stronger. After 8 weeks you probably should not be pushing anything very hard. I was not allowed to lift weight till 12 weeks. In essence, pushing is lifting in the horizontal plane. Taking things slowly is the best way to heal this type of injury/surgery. You PT is a good resource for questions about lifting and pain. Hope you have a good an full recovery.

• Posted

Slow and steady wins this recovery race. How far did you walk? Did you use your sling during the walk? During my recovery, whenever I walked the neighborhood 3-mile loop, I'd end up having to place my hand in a pocket or grab my jacket to support my arm the last half. I was tired of slings, but slings do help get you through your activities. Ice may help shoulder pain post activities. What does your pt suggest? Be smart. Slow and steady. Chin up. good luck-you will get there.

• Posted

I had the surgery about 3 months ago. I had a complete tear,a partial tear,bone spurs,calcium build up, bursitis and tendonitis all in my dominant shoulder. The Dr told me it was 3 months down time, I started therapy 2 days after surgery. I'm still sleeping in a recliner 3 months after surgery when I try to sleep in bed my shoulder hurts really bad so I'm back to the recliner. I'm basically a right sided sleeper and a very restless sleeper. Therapy hurts especially when they crank on it after my exercise. I go to therapy 2 to 3 times a week. The therapist said the pain can last 6 months up to a year I still can't put arm behind my back but we are working on that. Until recent one of my fingers when I wake up is in a lock down position after a while I can get it back up. I'm so stiff after I first wake up. I know I can't go back to work if I still have this pain and trust me I want to work i'm going stir crazy

• Posted

Hi,

Welcome to the discussion forum.

Sounds like you had a serious surgery for serious rotator cuff injury...same as me on both shoulders.

As far as asking if anyone has had pain after exercise like you are experiencing the answer is "Yes!" And considering you are only 8 weeks out it's no wonder you can't raise your arm out to the side...it's natural to have pain, stiffness, weakness.

I hope you are doing assisted exercises using the wand, pullies, guiding hands of the therapist and exercises like Peek-a-Boo, and Cradle Rock. I don't think you should be doing unassisted exercises. It seems too early for that. If the therapist is hurting you when they manipulate tell them it hurts. Seems like they should do it to the point of but not exceeding toleration. At least that's what they did with me. They said it would get better and no need to torture me with excessive manipulation.

Considering the extent of your injuries it may take month(s) before you start doing unassisted exercises. Everyone is different but it seems like most people begin to feel a bit more normal after 12-18-24 months.

Are you icing? That helps with pain after your workout at home and at therapy. Also maybe a Tens unit? Biofreeze? As far as sleeping positions to deal with pain, use pillows under your arm. That's what I did. ![image]

(https://patient.azureedge.net/forums/images/upload-sm/1245897-637060046994337341.jpg)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.