Rotator cuff injury to shoulder

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi  I wondered if anyone has had this rotator cuff injury to their shoulder and has had the operation to have it sewn back.

Am trying to decide whether to have this operation or put up with it.

Be interesting to hear of other peoples experiences.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello , I had my rotator cuff tear repaired last March but it tore again within 2 weeks , I then had it repaired again using what they call a graft jacket , this was done last July , since then I have been making slow progress until 2 days ago when I was given an injection in the shoulder to help it settle down , the pain has been unbelievable since then , I have not slept for 2 days , it feels like I had my operation this week , will give it a couple of days to see how it goes , at the moment I can't lift my arm , does anyone know if this is normal after an injection .

• Posted

Hi Malcolm,

Wow that's rough... 😣

I think it depends where the injection goes and what it is.

I've had corticosteroids into my muscle and that hurt and took around two weeks to settle the original pain.

My last injection was performed by the consultant & was into the bursa area with a massive line of saline and cortico and eased the pain almost immediately. Within 48hrs I had good use of my arm.

I would call the hospital or surgery you had it at and tell them what you are experiencing. It could be that the injection has upset or even hit scar tissue and that would cause more discomfort. Best to check though and get some extra strong painkillers to see you through. Xx

• Posted

Hi Malcom,

Gosh,that is a bit scary that after the first operation,it tore again. I have two rotor cuff years,and because I had bursitis,I had a cortisone injection. My Doctor said it would hurt,then pain would go away,then come back worse after a few days ,but

It didn't happen. You may have inflammation from the surgery,or the needle has upset something,and I agree it would be best to get it seen to. Just for interest sake,how old are you,with regards to surgery,as both my Doctor and Physio would rather wait six months to see if they heal on their own,and if not I. Will need surgery. I am 69 in May and fit and active.

Good luck, and I hope you get your pain issues sorted,as it is debilitating and frustrating.

Alice.

• Posted

Hi, just noticed your post - I had keyhole surgery for a complete tear of two rotator cuff tendons, which failed, a year ago.  I have since seen two more surgeons, both of whom have refused to do another open operation.  I have asked if they would consider using a polyester patch (they have both refused) - is this the same thing as the graft jacket which you have had?  How has it affected you?  I am 66 and do a lot of DIY and jiving and desperately need the strength back in my left arm.  Would be grateful to hear from you.
  • Posted

Dear shera48

As I have stated in the forums before I had an operation on my right shoulder rotator cuff in 2005.The ache and restricted range of movement I suffered when I damaged it again playing Badminton a few weeks ago has abated,I am down for scan at the RD&E hospital in Exeter.Until this happens I am Keeping it mobile .I get a clicking when I rotate my arm but at least I am not in pain.I have been offered physio but the first available appointment is May 12th!

• Posted

Dear shera48

No I did not have any operations for this and both my tendons had snapped they said they can repair them and my arms would be in slings for six to eight weeks then to have to see physiotherapists for another eight to nine weeks I just could not see myself being in slings for that length of time not being able to drive do anything for myself that was not me, so I asked the surgeon will it be a permanent fix and right away he said no it could come adrift so to speak so I would have to have it done again was it worth going and having it done NO NO NO but that's me, so left it as it was have had no problems other than a bit of shoulder and mussel pain which co-codamol sorted out plus if you are as unlucky as me you would proberbly get an infection.  Ps but this my thinking about this opp.

• Posted

I had my operation (supraspinatus tendon repair) 4 days ago. I was offered a nerve block for the affected arm just before the op. I would recommend this option if you are given it as it gave me almost total pain relief for 12 hours post op. i am now in a sling for 6 weeks. The last thing I want to happen is for me to strain the tendon repair and be back to stage 1, particularly as the surgeon cut the head of the biceps tendon in the process as part of the repair. therefore, if this doesn't work i will be worse off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.