Rotator Cuff Recovery and Driving

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm just wondering about driving while I'm recovering. If anyone could share their experience with driving, I'd appreciate it.

Sling, no sling?

I'm still supposed to keep my shoulder immobilized, but I'd really like to get back to work. I had my surgery four weeks ago.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Driving in a sling - you risk arrest for not being in full control of your vehicle.

Your surgeon should clear you at 6 weeks.

Not really worth risking arrest or damaging the repair for the sake of 2 weeks

• Posted

Driving in a sling is legal if you have auto transmission and are in control of the vehicle. That said i agree w 3the to lay off the driving unless you need to get somewhere urgently.
  • Posted

I had rotator cuff repair and total reverse shoulder replacement and was driving without difficulty while wearing my sling about 12 days after my surgery.  I was told by my doctor to hold the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position with the side that did not have the surgery and the 6 o'clock position  for he side wearing the sling.  I was actually doing that before surgery and just continued once I was driving gin after surgery.  I hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you. Yes, this really helps!

I practiced driving left handed for a month before my surgery and kept my right hand near the steering wheel at 6:00, just in case. My surgeon released me to drive IF I'm not taking pain medication, for obvious reasons. I do ok during the day, but need pain medicine to sleep. I don't wake up feeling groggy at all and make sure it is 12 hours before the time I would drive. I guess I need to check with the surgeon on that...

• Posted

I've been driving since day 7. My surgeon said I could drive whenever I felt comfortable as long as I was off the pain meds. I do keep my sling on. I think it's a very individual decision depending on how comfortable you feel. I started with short trips but am now comfortable driving all over the city. 

• Posted

Just wanted to check back in with you and see if you went back to work?
    • Posted

Yes, I went back to work today....

We had a two hour snow delay at my school which was helpful. ?

Still the longest day imaginable. I think I used all of my stamina to get ready and get there! I made it through the day and the forty minute drive each way. Thankful to the inventor of the gel ice pack.

Thank you for checking in on me' I truly appreciate it.

• Posted

Glad to hear you went back. Hopefully you have the hardest day behind you! I think it helps so much to be able to keep busy!

Drive safe in the snow (I assume from your name you are in TN?) My best friend lives in Nashville. Sunny and warmish in my part of the country (AZ). 

• Posted

Yes, Tennessee. I agree, staying busy is the best. Saw my surgeon today and he thinks I am doing very well.

Things fall apart here when it snows. Under funded snow removal and overconfident drivers=lots of wrecks!

I love Arizona. I've spent lots of time in Sedona. I love to go hiking there. I visited my best friend in El Rito, NM for a couple of weeks this summer. It is pretty there, as well. Georgia O'Keefe lived and worked near this spot.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Posted

Sedona is indeed gorgeous. It's a fun day trip from here.

I'm off for my 6 week appointment today. Supposed to be released from the straight jacket and start physical therapy! Yay! thought this day would never come!

• Posted

Hello, Just checking to see how the 6 weeks appointment went. Were you liberated from the sling? If so, are you feeling any pain?

I hope you are doing well!

Did you start PT?

Re: Sedona....wow, if I lived that close, I'd be there all the time!

• Posted

Well, sorta... I can "wean" myself out of it over the next couple weeks. I wear it in public and around the grandkiddos so I don't have any danger of it getting yanked or injured but am without it full time at home.

I started PT but the said that since it was a severe tear, I will be on a very slow rehab schedule. Only passive resistance for the next 2 weeks :-/  I really don't have much patience for this. I know it's going to be a long process but I'm ready to be done now ;-)  

I really do have a super high pain tolerence. No pain at all now. Sometimes a little achy but not anything I would classify as painfull. Not even during PT... yet. I know that can change. I may end up eating my words. 

Are you getting any relief?

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that your PT will be a slow process; I know that is very frustrating! I'm so glad that you are not having any pain right now. That's great! Hopefully you won't!

I had a little encounter with a rolling chair that apparently had a broken back. Fortunately, I didn't end up on the ground, but it now feels like I've been beaten with a baseball bat. I think I need a bubble wrap suit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.