Rotator Cuff Repair Developed clicking and pain ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have already posted a few times but am reposting this in the hope someone has got any advice.

I had my surgery 12th June and felt I was doing pretty well. About 4 weeks ago my shoulder developed a click. Prior to this I only had pain in the area front of shoulder inner area. The pain has increased and the shoulder looked and felt slightly swollen. This tied in with an increase in exercise using tension band. The pain was on the outer area of upper arm and going down towards my elbow.

I saw the physio about 2 weeks into this . Was advised to revert to the exercises without the bands. Last weekend I decided to rest the shoulder and see how it goes. I iced it frequently. The pain has decreased. I have pretty good motion but really lacking in any strength in my arm etc.. I thought I was seeing my Physio today but it is next week. I am seeing my Surgeon on.10th October. He felt he got a good repair buy had reservation about healing etc I am 76 and none quality is not great I am a bit dejected at the moment . I know that it is still early days

The pain has decreased and I am just doing a few gentle exercise to keep the joint mobile.

Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated Thanks Sue

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan.  My rotator cuff repair was about three years ago and I can honestly say there were lots of ups and downs in the following months. There were many times after exercise when I thought I had damaged the repair. Sometimes it was a case of one step forward and two back. I think it’s important to keep moving, even if you have to reduce it a bit when it’s painful. I would say overall it took a year to get to full recovery. On reflection it was time well spent as although I get the odd click and an ache from time to time it’s pretty good. Incidentally, I had a fall about a month ago - my own fault for climbing on a chair arm instead of getting steps out. I was terrrified that I had torn the rotator cuff on the other side. Certainly not something I want to go through again. As it takes ages to get referred through the doctors I went to see a physio who assures me that the damage is minimal and will recover, but interestingly, any issue with the shoulder will give the same type of pain, hence my concern that it was a repeat of last time.  Again I am finding I can be virtually pain free by day but in agony st night and also after exercising with bands but as this was the pattern before I’m not unduly worried. I would hazard a guess that it’s the same for you. I’m 62 and I understand that age plays a big part of healing so my view is to try to recover slow and steady. It sounds as if you are doing well. 
  • Posted

Thank you so much. I was discouraged but you have made me feel more positive.

As I said the Physio said to stop using the bands which I have done.

I know that I have not done anything to damage the shoulder

I am still sleeping sitting up I know that sleeping on the repaired side reduces the blood supply and this can impair healing.

Thanks again Sue

• Posted

Hi Susan

I had rotator cuff surgery on 2nd July and have unfortunately been left with a frozen shoulder. Although it is slowly improving I was told that it can take up to a year to regain full movement and strength. My shoulder does click which I don't like! But my physio says it's normal! I have worked out that everyone is different and so recovery is very individual. I'm due to start strengthening exercises next week - at the moment they are to gain range of movement - which to be honest is not great! Like me, I would say it is yet early days. I am having to be SO patient! Going back to work nect week after 13 weeks off - that will be fun! Sorry if this isn't much help, but hopefully it will make you feel a little less dejected - I went through the 'why did I bother stage' also!

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for your response it has encouraged me to be more positive. My surgeon had warned me that due to condition of cuff and bone it might not be successful. I know there is nowhere else to go. I think his warning is very much making me fearful.

As you say just stay positive. Thanks again Sue

• Posted

Hi Susan

You have just reminded me that my physio has blamed my post-op frozen shoulder on the condition of my shoulder before the surgery which makes sense I guess. I do feel getting a good nights sleep is important - I take 10-20mg of amitriptyline which is a very low dose but helps enormously. I already know I wont be happy using the stretchy bands so will take heed! The most important thing I have learnt to do is avoid what my physio calls 'yo-yo-ing' - that is , overdoing exercises or anything, one day, so you cannot do anything at all the next! Also, it is ok to feel the stretch and work through it, but not to incur pain - there is a difference. So know your limits I guess. Being consistent but not overworking the shoulder is definately beginning to pay off but every day is slightly different! Do take care and try not to worry - I am very anxious by nature but it really doesn't help with the healing as you hold yourself wrong and your mind is in the wrong headspace if you know what I mean! I have had to really take this on board.

All the best....

• Posted

I am fortunate to have 2 very good Physio who work with the surgeon Do the clinic with him.

I realise that pulling back on the physio has improved things. I will continue this until I see physio on Thursday. Will see my Surgeon on 10th October

Thanks for your encouragement

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.