Rotator Cuff repair with bicep tenotomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 70 year old active (golfer) male. I have significant tear in the supraspinatus tendon which requires stitching together before it will heal. I have (age related) wear damage to the bicep tendon which as far as I know, does not impact of my quality of life. It has been suggested to me that I should have a bicep tenotomy at the same time. What questions do I ask to get information that will help me form a view on whether I should have a bicep tenotomy whist having the torn supraspinatus tendon stitched or refuse the tenotomy?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

before my rotator cuff surgery my doc said if mine looked torn, he would take care of the bicep tendon while he was in there, because if i didnt do it at that time, i would be looking at another surgery eventually. i agreed. i didnt need one, but i was on board with it because surgeries of the shoulder are intense and i didnt want to think about returning for another surgery when it could have been taken care of the first time around. this is my second rotator cuff surgery, btw, and the first went well. very well. this second one i just had done. i say, if you need it or anticipate issues later, dont delay. i would avoid another shoulder surgery at all cost if i were you. they're pretty horrible. once i'm done, i want to put it all behind me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.