Rotator Cuff surgery is tough. I'm into my 9th week. Can anyone tell me about the next 3 weeks?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had rotator cuff/bicep tendon tear surgery. September 19th was surgery. I'm on my 9th week. I've experienced depression, anger, sadness, failure & frustration. Can anyone relate?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had a frozen shoulder, and I experienced all of the same feelings, usually from not being able to sleep due to pain. Due to other medical issues, I am unable to take traditional pain meds, so I was an alternative med junkie, trying one thing after another, and becoming alarmingly depressed when nothing relieved the pain. One of the biggest breakthroughs for me was the Curable App for my phone. If you read about it, it sounds ridiculous, thinking yourself well, but everyday, i checked in, did my daily lesson, and I was able to cope again. I was able to focus better on PT, and I regained hope to keep trying ways to get better. One of which was going to accupuncture. While my path may be very different from yours, it started in a similar way. I would swing from angry to sad to depressed. I would get up from a sleepless night and sob and sob from frustration. Shoulder pain is miserable. I hope you can find a path to healing!

• Posted

You understand what I'm going through for sure. I try to stay positive every day but this has been going on and on for almost 6 months! I was working July 4, 2019 & the pain in my left arm/shoulder was just unbearable so I called my Supervisor & told him I couldn't do my job until I find out what's wrong with my left shoulder/arm. He said Do what you need to do. So I went on Short Term Disability. Now here I am on Long Term Disability. Due to Insurance & Doctor's, it took almost 3 months to get diagnosed & schedule surgery! After my surgery on September 19th, the doctor told my bf & Dad that I had a 50% rotator cuff tear not 20%, and I had a bicep tear, spurs, dead bone, & arthritis. ALOT. I'm downloading the Curable App right now. I'm trying everything I can think of to stay positive. I walk 2-3 hours a day with my dog. I clean the house too much, lol. I go to PT 3 days a week. I just want to go back to work and be "normal" again. Thank you so much for listening. Have a great day!

• Posted

I am glad to hear that you have disability coverage. While staying at home can be tiring, it is best if you can recover without the stress of getting to work everyday. It sounds like you are doing all the right things and I hope your healing is soon.

• Posted

Good Morning,

I had a frozen shoulder with bone spurs and had surgery to remove the spurs and manipulate the shoulder to break the painful scarring thinking it would be better right after surgery. I am currently 12 weeks post up and my pain is daily still, but more under control because i had laser surgery, 6 treatments , that began 4 days post op and every other day until i reached 6 treatments. i also had a nerve block and a good plan of care following. I was placed on our prayer chain at church and someone checked in on me regularily. I still have others asking if Im improving.

i have not had depression. BUT i did deal with anxiety, worrying about how bad this might be and

honestly it has gone very well. I also take Celexa for anxiety/depression and Im sure that had alot to do with it. Regardless, shoulder pain is intense, ice packs have been my GO TO for pain control even today. Shoulders seem to take months to heal. Find your support system, be it friends, petting your dog, positive self talk, attending church, and try to refocus off yourself. It has helped me greatly.

• Posted

Good Morning,

Wow you've been through alot also. I have a wonderful bf, dog & family thank god. I try to stay busy daily while out of work. I walk ALOT, I do as much as I can throughout the day but the night time is tough. I just want to go back to work & be "normal" again. I've been doing all of my arm/shoulder exercises & my pt girl says I'm doing fantastic. I'm in pt 3 days a week. I love my Tens Unit & my Ice for sure. I don't take any meds so I deal with all of this. Thank you so much for the outlet for my frustrations. Have a wonderul day & take care!

• Posted

My heart goes out to everyone out there suffering from this disease.

I've been getting dialectic behavioral therapy since July 2019 and it helps me a lot to understand and cope with chronic pain. I'm sure we are all aware here how quickly this pain can affect our emotions and moods, and DBT helps a bit with understanding it more.

Maybe it's not as helpful a therapy when you're deep into the peak pain periods of this disease, but since I'm more or less in the final chapters of my surgical recoveries, it's really helping me move on from it all.

It also helps with stress in general as well as putting the past in its place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.