Rotator Cuff Surgery on Blood Thinners.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have to be on blood thinners due to a genetic blood clotting disorder. I am scheduled for a much needed rotator cuff surgery in June. I was wondering if any of you out there have had this surgery while under blood thinner medication. Obviously i know i will be coming off the medication a few days before surgery, but going back on shortly after. My concern is how this may or may not effect the healing process. I am on Xarelto. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bill,

i was only on aspirin therapy pre-op, but began lovenox post op day 1 and will continue for 14 days.  Your doctor will be mindful of your prescribed medications so you dont end up with too many that can cause bleeding...but in other surgeries and so far in this one...only day 9....i seem to be status quo.  Good luck on your upcoming procedure!  As a former DVT sufferer - I will do whatever it takes to NOT have that happen again!

• Posted

Yes , i am on xarelto. I am sure the plan is to stop it a few days prior and start up very soon after. Just worried that being on thinners in general could slow down healing process. 
  • Posted

Hi Bill,

In this situation, the benefit of preventing a DVT outweighs the risk (if there even is one) of slower healing.  As nutrients are delivered in part by our vascular system to the  surgical area, it would stand to reason healing would proceed as per norm. I think we just have to be a bit more careful not to do anything to stress the area so it doesn’t bleed more than the oral amount.

• Posted

PS:  advanced tissue .com has this to say:  Anticoagulants 

Most people have the ability to stop bleeding on their own, as specific proteins activate in order to form blood clots. However, some individuals – including those with issues in their biochemistry – create too many clots, which can increase their risk of stroke or heart attack. Though anticoagulants like heparin can break down these excess clots, they also interrupt normal cell division. This, in turn, can reduce the healing process and increase the amount of bleeding a patient experiences. As such, doctors have to carefully monitor the use of anticoagulants.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.