Rotator cuff surgery .... Pain after

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had rotator cuff repair and bone spur removal three weeks ago and all was going well .. Minimal pain ... I am at a friends parents house for thanks giving and getting here was a really bumpy dirt road .. After that I am now in a lot of pain in my shoulder .. Not sharp pain but a painful deep pain ... Has anyone had this happen ? I'm not going back for my recheck for another week ...

Thank tou

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I still have pain 5 weeks post supraspinatus tendon repair and bicep tendenectomy. The pain can be a constant background, gnawing pain like yours but not excessive and is relieved sometimes by repositioning the sling. It always comes back at some time or another. I only takle paracetamol for it but sometimes I use an opiate based pill to help sleep but I am trying to cut them out. I think it's part of the long term recovery process. I start physiotherapy in a week and I am sure that will increase the pain level again. I have been told it may be up to 9 months before I am back to normal. I think your pain is probably normal and has been aggravated by the movement you spoke of. I hope it settles and you had a good Thanksgiving.

• Posted

Thanks for the response .. It's feeling better .. I have been walking , riding a stationary bike and walking on a treadmill and a little bit of weights for my legs with no issues .. I am really worried about a retear .. But I think you are right .. I start my PT next week .. They have me just doing the pendulums for now .. I guess since I really haven't had too much time I kinda panicked a little .. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving too .. I'll check in as I progress as I hope that you do too ... Good luck !!

• Posted

You may have jostled your shoulder...did you bring a sling, the dreaded immobilization device...it needs rest, ice, heat. 3 weeks is not enough time for full recovery.

When you leave, secure that shoulder so that the jolts can not move the arm. If the arm remains still, the shoulder muscles will be still. Put it in a sling which is secured to your body. Do not attempt to tense the rotator cuff to hold the arm steady.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the response ..

Yes i have my sling and was wearing it while in the vehicle but there was a lot of bumps etc in the dirt road . I was holding on the best I could with my good arm as not to tense . I iced it and took a pain pill and ibuprofen and rested .. It is feeling a lot better now and just has the usual small Bit of uncomfortableness again ..

Are you still doing physical therapy for yours ?

• Posted

mine is going to have to be replaced with a reverse procedure...February.

Perhaps a bed pillow...you have the ride home

• Posted

Oh wow .. My girlfriends dad had that done a few years ago .. He told me that it wasn't that bad and he has pretty much full range of motion ... Why are they replacing it ?

Good luck with it ..

• Posted

Hi Alex, I have a shoulder bone spur & have surgery a after Christmas :-(

May I ask when you had your spur did the pain travel down you arm?

I have pain in my shoulder all if my arm wrist & sometimes hand.

How's the pain now?

Thanks

• Posted

Good day

So my mum is having a very hard time to decide whether to go for a rotator cuff repair and bone spur removal or not.. she has an 8 mm tear in the tendon according to the MRI and of course the surgeon suggested going for rotator cuff repair and bone spur removal.

I would like to know whether the surgery really helped you in your experience and do you think you've made the right choice in your opinion.

Thank you so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.