Rotator cuff surgery--Still can't reach behind my back

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just checking with other rotator-cuff surgery patients.  I am female and prior to the surgery I could unhook my bra from behind.  Most women I know do this as well.  I know it seems like a small thing, but I am more than three months in and still can't reach behind my back with the surgery arm.  Has anyone who has has this surgery regained the ability to reach behind?  If yes, how long did it take?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rotate-Bicep

I think you have to be a bit more patient.

It took me about 5 months to be able to unhook my bra with my surgery arm again.

even now, after 8 months,  although my overall range is almost perfect the behind the back move is still the hardest.

According to my physio it is normal that this range comes back last.

Keep doing your exercises and it will come back eventually.

Good luck!

• Posted

I think you are ok.   This is the about the time they started working with me on that.   I'm 5 months and I still can't reach all the way back.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and my physio is just starting to work on that movement.  He says it is always the most difficult so needs patience and perseverance.  Even to slightly reach behind in hydrotherapy is painful and difficult but he feels confident it will come.  Good luck! 
  • Posted

Hi I'm 14 weeks post op and I can't reach behind my back fully yet. I'm still in pain too waiting to have injections. Hoping things will improve soon.

• Posted

May I ask how you injury came about, you see I broke the ball of my shoulder nearly 8weeks ago. They say the bone is fixed and sent me to PT I have limited movement it has show some improvement but there is no way I could do up a bra, the PT says my rotator cuff is damaged. When is it deemed nesersary to have surgery ? I hope you don't mind me butting in your thread  sue

• Posted

hi shouldre sufferers   can you please explain the pain you had   before surgery.   years  ago i  injurerd my shoulder,   after about 3 months  the pain subsided.    but for the last 12 month or more  i have had pain in my upper arm   and now into my shoulder.   it isnt too bad  during the day.  but terrible in the  night.  so painfull
  • Posted

The bra behind the back was probably about 5 months to be comfortable with. I can do it...but still not the most comfortable movement. I prefer to hook in front and twist...or just step into my bra...or not wear one wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.