Rotator Cuff Surgery: Tenodesis vs. Tenotomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 64 year old male scheduled to have rotator cuff surgery in early June. I was hoping to get some opinions on having the tenodesis ( reattaching bicep to humorus) or tenotomy ( leaving bicep detached. I am scheduled for tenodesis , but having 2nd thoughts. Would appreciate others that weighed this decision and why they were swayed one way or another. Plus any regrets?  Thank you. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have a choice, and am glad of it. I think one should trust their surgeon to do what's best given the situation.

• Posted

My surgeon left it up to me which is the reason why i am looking for some input here. Which did you have?
  • Posted

Really? That's interesting. I had the tenodesis. Didn't know there was an option. Did he say what the pros and cons were for each? I'm doing SO well, and I think the key has been that I was and continue to take Meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory. I'm just over 5 weeks postop now.

• Posted

The upside of the tenotomy is being less painful and a much better rehab.  The downside is with the bicep just dropped you end up with sort of a popeye looking bicep muscle. Aren't anti-inflammatories discouraged? I cant have them anyways being on blood thinners. 

• Posted

Well, being female I don't think I'll have an issue with the Popeye biceps. At least I think that's how it was explained to me. As for the anti-inflammatories, they didn't tell me not to take them..

• Posted

Hi. I am in a similar situation, except that they are not sure about the condition of my rotator cuff. Tenotomy is about a 1 week recovery time, no sling....Tenodesis is a 6 to 8 week recovery time, in a sling....With a tenotomy, the tendon is cut, you will develop a Popeye muscle, and may lose some function with suppination...recovery time is only about a week....BUT... Since you will be having rotator cuff surgery, you will have a recovery time of 6 to 8 weeks in a sling anyway, SO...you might as well go for the Tenodesis..which is the reattachment surgery...because you are already in for the 6 to 8 week recovery time!
    • Posted

Tenodesis is where they remove the bicep muscle at shoulder joint and reattach it to the humerus (arm bone) as part of the rotator cuff surgery. Is that what you had Nancy?  Being out of your sling at 3 and doing so well at 5 weeks is great!  I'm just concerned if the longer rehab/pain vs. just detaching the biceps is worth it. 

• Posted

My surgeon stated to me that the recovery time and the pain would be less with a tenotomy, but is leaving the decision up to me. 
  • Posted

Has anyone here had a tenotomy?  Seems to have a lot of merit vs, tenodesis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.