Rotator Cuff symptoms for almost three months, but MRI shows fine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had rotator cuff symptoms for about three months now:  Severe pain in arm when trying to do any overhead press, extending the arm too hard, or reaching behind my back.  I have a dull ache in my shoulder and bicep at rest.  I've gone through six weeks of PT, didn't really notice a result.  I have had an X-Ray, Ultrasound, and MRI, and all have come back clear on the shoulder and bicep.  Currently have to do another month of PT before a followup.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I'm curious what else it could be, what the best way for treatment/pain control would be.  Thanks for any thoughts!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It might be a labrum tear. Have you had an accident, trauma or fall that involved force onto the shoulder?

Does your shoulder feel loose or unstable? If so, then it maybe a labrum tear. Also referred to as a SLAP tear or Bankart tear.

The best way to diagnose it is by having an Arthrogram which is an MRI scan with a contrast agent injected into the shoulder beforehand. The contrast agent will find it's way through gaps and tears (such as a labrum tear) and show up bright-white on the MRI images. It may also reveal other tears such as your rotator cuff. It's normally a surgeon who refers for an Arthrogram, but if you're UK based there are some private clinics that will take a referral from a GP, Osteopath or Chiropracter. The cost is about £500. Vista Diagnostics in Waterloo, London is one such clinic.

Best of luck, NICK

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I participated in a mud run back in April, but at the time did not experience any noticeable "oh no" moments.  I took a week off from the gym after that and I started noticing it when I got back in the gym trying to lift.  The shoulder itself doesn't necessarily feel loose, just a pretty constant ache and weakness.

That's interesting about the contrast dye with the MRI, I wish they had done that with the one I had last week, although they were specifically looking at the rotator cuff and bicep muscle, which they did not find any abnormality with.  Theyw ant me to do another four weeks of PT, I just feel like I'm stuck in limbo at the moment...

• Posted

Hello the pain in bicep at rest and not being able to reach behind your back pain when extending your arm sounds like Frozen Soulder I have the same symptoms this also includes poor sleep as I don't know how to place the arm for comfort has FS not been mentioned 

tracy

• Posted

Frozen shoulder is normally associated with a restricted range of motion. If you are particularly stiff, then it may be that, but the fact that you can do presses and extend your arm sounds like your range is ok. Pain with presses and pain at the front of the shoulder - as you describe - is often associated with a labrum tear.
  • Posted

I had my rotor cuff repair 10 months ago and can honestly say it's been a long slog..Only in the last couple of weeks, I have been able to finally say I have got full movement back in my arm without pain..I know my surgeon warned me it would take a while, I really didn't realise it was going to be this long! I'm glad I had it done but wouldn't go through it again as the pain was umbearable..hope your recovery goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.