Rough patch around 5-6 weeks?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm sure I've read on here that everyone seems to hit a rough patch of recovery around now?! Am between 5-6 weeks post anterior, posterior repair & hysterectomy. I feel more sore, bloated & swollen now than I was before & some spotting has returned after mostly being settled!! (& I haven't seen any stitches come away?) Is it just a normal part of healing or is something going on in there?! I'm also supposed to be allowed to return to driving after 6 weeks, so I assumed this would be a turning point in the recovery when things would start to feel more normal? Am I dreaming that this is possible!? I'm not & haven't been on pain killers for quite some time, but I'm not seeing myself being able to drive comfortably in a week or so!! Maybe in week 4 I was feeling like by 6 weeks I'd be ok!! How long did this "set back" feeling of recovery last? Were you able to drive comfortably after 6 weeks? Thanks ladies 🤗

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun

You may not see stitches for weeks yet.. I didn't after tvh and anterior repair till 7/8 wks and even atb12 wks still had gone ones come away.

You will have spitting around The stage of healing,I didn't but it's very common. I would say you have a few wks yet before driving. You have had a lot of surgery done and you need to rest and heal. I didn't drive till 10 wks although I could of done earlier. Be cautious and you will Be fine. It's a mind blowing revovery😠😠😠🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

Have just gone through same at 6/7 weeks. Spotting a couple of times when have had none for weeks and very sore.

did see a  stitch come away a few days ago. Definitely feel down about it all. After reading posts i think this is not unusual. Hope we all come through this OK.  As far as driving see how you feel.

I don't have any problem sitting.

• Posted

Miriam are you out the other side now & feeling a little better? How long were you down & out for? Its so hard isn't it 😭

• Posted

At 7 weeks now still not back to normal. Still sore and feel like something ‘in rhere’. No pain really since the beginning just sore and uncomfortable.

Still have aways to go.

• Posted

We must just hang in there its such a long recovery 😔 love to you on your journey!! I hope you're feeling some what better soon!

• Posted

I  thought 9 weeks off work would be fine and I’d be OK after around 6 and have 3 weeks enjoying the time off! I’ve actually now asked for and had the full 12 weeks and feel I’m just getting back to feeling more normal.

Sometimes feel a bit swollen after a full day but have been trying to get my steps up.  My stitches are still not fully dissolved even now.

When I went for my check up at week 7, the nurse said it is a major op and just because you feel okay in yourself it’s still a big healing process.

I drove after 5 weeks but still felt twinges.

Hope you feel better soon ❤️

• Posted

Vicky it's so hard to think that far in the future & think about still being in recovery! Blessed to be able to have the time off work, feeling like I need the world around me to stop for a while too though 😩

• Posted

Hi Tam,

I agree with all the replies the co-recovering ladies have shared. I know I had a physical and emotional let down about 6 weeks or so post anterior and posterior repair along with urethra and hernia repair. I think I thought I was supposed to be well by 6 weeks like the hysterectomy I had 20 years ago because my nurse said , “Oh if you have had a hysterectomy, you’ve got this surgery for sure!” No, my hysterectomy was through my abdomen and I could see the stitches so do not think that hysterectomy was as hard on the mind as this surgery is! Maybe because we cannot see what  is going on...not sure but obviously the nurse had never had any of these procedures!

I am now 12 weeks and only today did I get back to church which is over an hour away. I feel much stronger but do not feel completely healed even yet.

As far as driving, my dr said at 8 weeks I could drive only short distances but even then I did not feel I could comfortably sit on the seat and brake hard if I needed to brake. I feel more comfortable to drive now at 12 weeks but would prefer not to have to hard brake still.

You take care of yourself and not sure why this mark in time does feel almost like a step backwards instead of more forward progress! Prayers for your complete healing and everyone else to have complete healing, too!🙏🙏🙏😄😄😄??????

• Posted

Thanks for the replies ladies! Mentally it is so hard, some days I just wish it was over already & I could get back to normal!! I'll take even somewhat normal 😭 I hope this settles soon for everyone!! Yes I don't think I could hit the brakes in a hurry or wrench the wheel at the moment, things you need to be able to do just in case! Although, when other people drive I have no problems on stomping on my invisible brake in the passenger seat 😂 I'm supposed to be travelling in a couple weeks to follow up with my surgeon... 5 hours away. I'm hoping this has passed by then and I'm feeling back to how I felt at 4 weeks 😣 just a nice discomfort and general annoyance at not being able to do too much, who would have thought I'd ever be hoping for that?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.