Round 2 of diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm dealing with my 2nd rnd of diverticulitis in 16 mos..came on shortly after recovering from the flu. Trying to make sense of it as I usually eat plenty veggies and fiber.

I know they say now that nuts not as suspect to cause flare-up, but I did eat a small bag of almonds the day before and thai food with peanuts the day before that, granted I have enjoyed these foods before w/o issue. I also try to eat foods that are naturally fermented for maintenance of gut flora.

On day 5 now w only mild discomfort..trying to reintroduce low fiber foods, but still diarrhea/loose stool. Does this sound typical, any thoughts?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wish I had diarrhea I promise constipation and I’ve had over 10 bouts of diverticulitis in this year and still on another flareup now this is my second one in 2018 .    It’s crazy I have no idea what’s going on my doctor said it could be something else contributing to the flareups like IBS .  At this point I just like to have surgery and have them just cut that piece out and be done with it but they don’t seem to want to do that unless they absolutely have to.  I am continuously  nauseated 🤢 you?

• Posted

Hello Sharon in reply to your question because I took kept having flares but hopefully it’s calm down a bit since I have been taking some probiotics hope this helps 
    • Posted

I too experience constipation and it is the most frustrating part for me. I too have IBS and definitely think there is a correlation between the two.  I try to take Miralax to stay open.  I hate taking it every night but my doctor said you can.  I always ate well.  Fruit and veggies a lot and now because of not knowing what is to eat I use a crockpot a lot. Soft foods agree with me and pasta but pasta is binding so I'm always constipated.  I have most recently had another flare up and don't know why.  I have associated it with eating raw veggies and fruit  as in salads twice in the same week.  I started using a heating pad on my abdomen and going on a liquid diet for a day then low residue for 3 and today I am finally feeling better. Most times I must go on an antibiotic to get better. My fingers are crossed as the antibiotic really messes up the intestines.  Try a probiotic. Maybe it would help. Also my doctor too says no surgery unless absolutely necessary.  Take care.

• Posted

I'm sorry it's been so difficult Sharon, I know a person who has had the surgery w good results. I haven't had nausea but still troubled w diarrhea and now some reflux last night after all solid foods yesterday.

If you haven't begun to, it is good advise to take a probiotic. Hoping you find a resolution soon.

• Posted

Anthony I've learned this is a complex disease. Certainly for me anyway. I was hospitalised with acute diverticulitis before Xmas and it took me until now to feel like mum old self. I am a lifelong egret arisen, plenty of fibre, excercise regularly, fit and well. Sounds like yours is mild so that's good. I have only just been able to eat more fibre, and yet my doc said eat what you like . It can be an individual,thing. Go by your body. You'll soon know if your having too much/ too,little fibre. Think you'll have loose stools for a while yet. All typical and normal for diver . 

• Posted

Thank you Beth, the continued loose stools a concern for me. I've begun a regimen of probiotics yesterday as I'm sure that will help esp since another 5 days of antibiotics to go. Probably should have started them with meds..best wishes.

• Posted

I would stay away from nuts definitely. Also adding a probiotic would be could. I take a product called Florastor but ask your pharmacist he may be able to help. This is a crazy disease and it will take some time to feel completely better.Take care.

• Posted

Yes this is familiar to me...nutts I avoid, hope your feeling better soon, it really is a pain to find the things you can and can't eat...its like trial and error

• Posted

I have been on decaf tea and found that this has really helped after seeing a dietician...i have had no flareups now for six months after this advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.