Routine Blood Test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been asked to have a routine blood test.  I am wondering what level of information there will be on the various organs, particularly the liver, but it will include such things as diabetes, blood counts, etc.  Have had a history of binge drinking, but no longer active for over two possibly three years, but have had occasional lapses, usually "self medication" in  response to shock/trauma.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It will have a LFT in they will know what sort of drinker you are and an idea of your liver state.

Kidneys are usually checked with a urine test. It will tell them where you are on the diabetic scale (Hba1c test). There are many different tests they do, it depends what they test for. When I have had tests before, they have takaen up to six different tubes, one of which was for a blood cancer test. They will probably look at iron levels and whether you are anemic.

• Posted

I recently went through months of blood tests after a routine blood test revealed raised SATS they were sky high. Google left me in a complete panic as everything I read said liver damage. However it was explained to me that any medication even herbal / virus cab raise these levels not just alcohol. After several.months mine returned to normal and I'm have had no issues since.

The routing one just showed general liver enzyme results and because they were raised subsequent ones focused just on the liver.

I was so worried I booked amy appointment with my doctor who explained everything. Searching the Internet for advice gave me really inaccurate information and left me really worried so I'd definitely go and speak to a professional if you need any advice. X

• Posted

Sorry auto correct! Meant to say AST and ALT. Mine were raised hugely and according to Google it meant liver damage. However after discussions with the Dr there were other causes too and luckily mine was that. I had a virus and also on medication.

Hope you get the results you want x

• Posted

hi Hayley. I am not actually waiting for result but just wanted to know more. Still not getting the AST but never mind. My results were fine 6 months ago and hope that it works our for you.
    • Posted

Well the long and short of the full blood count was that it looks at enzymes in the liver which are only released when the liver is under pressure. Since it filters all toxins out of your body any toxin can raise it whther it be alcohol, medication or in response to a virus. Mine were sky high and they weren't overly concerned just monitor to make sure they slowly decreased. Had they not over time the next step was further investigation x
    • Posted

Interestng feedback and information.  Readiing through other responses, I have formed the impression that a "routine" blood test is to check for blood count, blood group, diabetes, etc., etc.  The "Liver Function" test does not necessarily reveal what sort of a drinker the individual is, but the amount of enzymes the liver mayor may not be releasing in response to a number of different conditions, including virus and medication, and not necessarily over indulgence in alcohol, whether over a sustained period of time or not.  I think if my doctor was at all concerned about whether or not I was a problem drinker, the GP would have advised that a more in depth test was required also. This is a routine blood test pre op.  GP advises that I am "healthy!" 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.