Routine for vulval lichen planus as regards emollients?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have VLP and am trying to establish some sort of routine.  I've been prescribed Dermol and am using it solely to wash.  I bought some Hydromol and, although it's good, it's very heavy and sticky.  Not sure what to use as a barrier, before and after I use the bathroom.  Is Vaseline best?  Or could I use an aqueous cream for more or less everything?  If I used Vaseline as a barrier, when would I use any other sort of emollient?

You can see I'm getting myself a little confused here!  I'd be grateful if anyone else with VLP could tell me what their routine is.  I'm also using Dermovate at night.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Cheetah

I tried Vasilene as a barrier, it was awful, it's too sticky and very uncomfortable

• Posted

Thank you for that, Linda.  I'll forget about the Vaseline, then!   I don't want to be any more uncomfortable than I already am!  rolleyes

• Posted

I use Vasilene too. I’ve also tried A&D Creme that you use on babies for diaper rashes. Found that soothing but Vasilene is a better barrier. I was diagnosed 3 months ago. Can anyone tell me how long VLP lasts?  I too have a terribly itchy left eye but never connected that to VLP. Any advice from anyone?

• Posted

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble controlling you VLP. I've had great success with Clobetasol. It's a lubricant, but works very well. It was prescribed by my OB/GYN. As long as I use it just two days a week I keep it under control.

Good luck!

• Posted

I use an emollient when using the bathroom and the same emolient in the shower instead of soap on the advice of my dermatologist.  Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.