Routine physical PSA 5.1, three weeks later 4.0 - Age 50 (coping with the unknown)

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a routine physical exam on Feb. 9. (about nine days after getting the all clear on my first colonoscopy). My GP called a week later saying my PSA was "a little high" and that we should have a plan. I was told my PSA was 5.15. My last physical completed in 2016 stated I had a PSA of 3.61. We agreed I would meet with a urologist. After that I dove into the world of PSAs and potential prostate cancer and never resurfaced. I've been to dozens of sites. I asked for another test three weeks later and on Feb. 24 the result was 4.01. My GP commented on my online chart that the latest PSA reading was "much better" and to get retested in six months. But I still kept the appointment with the urologist which took place Wednesday, March 7. After the DRE the urologist mentioned I had a "slightly larger" than normal prostate with "slight rigidity" to one side and my PSA at 4 was still high for my age. Yesterday, i had a MRI just to make sure and now I'm waiting for the results.

I've had several sleepless nights and now take Ambien to rest. I'm not engaging with my family like I should and there is only so much a spouse can say. I never expected to react this way about the unknown with so little information but I'm obviously worried and find it hard to concentrate on anything else. I've have read many of your posts and have tremendous respect for the way you engage with one another. How do you cope with the unknown?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Talk about your feelings with your close family and friends.
  • Posted

Robb, I know the feeling of the unknown. Your age is on your side. If your urologist decides that you need a biopsy, that will determine if there are cancer cells present. The DRE indicates an abnormality, but that doesn't necessarily mean cancer. The slightly enlarged prostate is fairly common in men over 40, and doesn't indicate cancer either. A biopsy will determine it there are cancer cells present. So try not to worry yourself for no reason. If cancer cells are present in a biopsy, they will give you a Gleason score which will help with treatment options - or many men will opt for the active surveillance and get their PSA checked regularly.  The main thing is not to panic. There treatments that work - and you may not need anything. Just know that there are many men on this site  that have had treatments that work... I am am one of them.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

• Posted

Well, you are on the road to making the unknown known. Personally, I don't think your PSA is so terribly high, but it was prudent to have the MRI which may, or may not, lead to a biopsy, but please do not get too far ahead of yourself at this point.

Your worry may be unwarranted so do your best to keep it in check...

Good luck!

• Posted

My advice, just relax you have time to work through this. The unknown will come to light, then just be diligent and do what ever is  necessary to to take care of the out come.
  • Posted

Hi-should you have access to facebook,you may find various support groups on there,with plenty other people to ask questions and compare experiences to.'Prostate cancer non- surgical treatments and support' being one of them..all the very best to you at this time of uncertainty,and all the best for making the unknown known.

• Posted

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. One day at time. I’ll get the answers I need soon and if needed, decide on a plan. I wish you well. 
    • Posted

You have time. Lots of it, first further diagnosis is needed and continue the non invasive procedures .

When the time comes for a biopsy you will still have time to make decisions.

Don't worry, live your life and follow up on the PSA tests.

• Posted

I am in the same boat waiting for a biopsy in May. Your mind goes all over the place but time will tell.
    • Posted

Hey Postaldogg, I can’t help but layout every possible scenario even though I know it’s a bit insane. Why the delay on your biopsy? Your choice? At least you’ll soon have more info. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

No not my choice. Dr. is booked up solid that was 1st available appt. coming up. It's just tough to have to think about it until then. I also have general anxiety which doesn't help

• Posted

good going, getting the MRI first. suggest you find a way to send the scans to one of the best readers... there's a list, i used Dr. Busch in Tenn for a second opinion. i have a list of others, at various hospitals and urology centers throughout US.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Two things comes to mind:

1. Always have he PSA tested by the same lab; and

2. Ensure the MRI is reported on by a prostate expert and not a radiologist who reports on all pars of the anatomy.

• Posted

hiya barn - gotta disagree with you on both counts. your PSA should come out the exact same no matter what lab you use. if it doesn't, then one or both labs suck, try a third and see which matches. if the same lab tech always does your test, he/she may just fudge the readings to not stray too far off the previous readings.

count 2, my urologist told me flat out that urol. aren't trained to read MRI scans, that they depend on the radiologist report to make decisions and interpret/manipulate fusion imagery for biopsies. that's why i'll probably use Dr. Busch in Tenn. for my biopsy, as he is trained in both radiol. and urol.

• Posted

LABS

You are free to disagree but it's a fact that different labs use different assays in their investigation of pathology samples. When multiple assays measure the same target their results and utility may or may not be comparable depending on their methodology, reliability etc.

MRI

I agree that most urologists are not trained to read MRIs. That is why patients should seek radiologists that are expert in PCa readings and not a generalist radiologist. Your point on a doctor trained in both is very wise.

• Posted

MRI clean - no lesions. Check back in six months. I’ll try not to engage in so much drama if there is a next time. Possible PSA inaccuracy during last physical, not sure. I will stay on top of this.  Seeing phycologist Monday to work through my response to these situations. Thank you again for your considerate and informed replies. 
    • Posted

Great news - hope you sleep well now.

Wishing you good health.

• Posted

Thanks, Pepasan. Sleep is still elusive. Hopefully it will reset in a few days. So tired of being tired.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.