Rt Knee Pain - MRI Showed Slight Medial Meniscus Wear

Posted , 5 users are following.

Heyy,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! 

I’m new to the site but I thought I’d give a shot at asking for some help! 

I’m an 18 y/o climbing Instructor and have suffered with right knee pain for a couple of years now. Recently it got bad to the point where it was unstable and painful without bearing weight. I went to my GP who is a sports team medic (so knew his stuff) and he ordered an MRI as he was concerned about the cartilage. 

I had the scan last week and I’ve just got the report which just states ‘There is not much on your scan except slight wear to medial meniscus but no tear’. I’m obviously very relieved but I’m really surprised as my knee hurt just from laying down during the scan. 

I was a national athlete for discus and running several years back when the pain started after a funny turn to the knee. Ever since then it grinds and pops like a car going over gravel, sore aches when idle, pain when bearing weight (going up/down stairs etc) and when lying down and bending the knee. 

Is this really all just down to ‘slight wear to the meniscus’? How should I go about it now as I really need to do something as I can’t progress in my job if it remains like this? For that reason, I really am open for any treatment options. 

Thank you so much and I hope I’ve posted in the right place! smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Annie,

I am a 62 yesr old former powerlifter. I was competing in masters competition two years ago and had a similar diagnosis to yours. Eventually we did arthroscopy and found arthritis on the medial side of the right knee. I agree that your pain seems a bit much for "worn" meniscus. Meniscus tears are notoriously hard to pick up on imaging. If it petsists, going in to have a look may be the best option. Then you have peace of mind. Best of luck to you. It is beyond hard to have your sport yanked from under you. Get a couple of opinions and, if you need to do something, make SURE they work with athletes!! 😉

• Posted

Thanks so much Lifter for sharing about your treatment!

I think I definitely need to find what’s actually up and not just settle especially due to age and activity! 

I’m quite happy with any sort of treatment at this stage because I don’t want to keep minimising what I do as soon I won’t be doing anything! wink 

Thank you!

• Posted

Stop all this horrible treatment to your knee!!!! Pt states people who demand all this hard exercise on their knees are asking for trouble! Do you want TKR?? You will be asking for a great deal of pain!

Find another job! Be wise!

• Posted

Hey Kathryn,

Ahaha I don’t think I have been hard on my knees that’s the issue? I’m 18 y/o and haven’t done near as much stuff as others! 

I’m no longer active with athletics and I absolutely love my job as an instructor! Working with children and adults both indoor and out is fab! The job is an ‘on your feet’ sort of job but isn’t hard on my knees, just makes my knees sore because the pain is just from standing around etc. Further training will require me to trek and climb outdoors, and I can’t even climb stairs properly.

Changing jobs is the last straw  when I’ve already changed my lifestyle for my knee, which to be honest, makes me feel very old as many of my friends who are active don’t have any issues and are still in athletics! Even then if I were to, that’s not treating the issue since the job is just daily activities and doesn’t require hard activities.

Thank you for the reply smile

• Posted

What did the sports doc recommend?  I would give physical therapy a good go,  They can give you exercises to help with your knee tracking. It really does sound like you need a scope and orthopedic surgeon consult.  Does icing the knee and NSAIDS help? 
    • Posted

Hey Zadok,

He mentioned that even if the scan didn’t show much he wanted me to come back to discuss further options after he felt the knee wasn’t right after the physical examination.

The MRI was ordered to check the alignment and any damage to cartilage,  so I think your advice is spot on like Lifter; I have an appointment in the two weeks time to discuss options anyway.

The results saying slight wear to the medial meniscus also seems right as it’s more painful left side of the right knee but at the same time quite vague to how the knee is actually feeling. I’m wondering if it’s loose or damaged cartilage (more than what is being shown)/inflammation, but I’m no doc so I’ll see wink 

Thank you for your reply :D

• Posted

Also I was given NSAIDs several months back and they seem to make the make the pain into a dull uncomfortable ache throughout the day. I Ice and use deep freeze whilst at work which seems okay for short term relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.