RTKR far less painful than the LTKR a year ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a LTKR in January 2019 and had my RTKR Monday 20 January this year. I can't believe how much less pain I've been in this time round. I was preparing myself for the excruciating pain I experienced first time round, but it's nothing like the same. I can't take opiates, but this time the pain was under control with paracetemol/tylenol. Same surgeon, same diagnosis, so I'll be interested to ask,the surgeon about it.

I know a few have posted that they need the other knee done, but can't face it so I thought this post might help, although there are no guarantees that it might be the same for you. I just hope that it will be if you do go ahead.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynda. Thank you for your ebbing. I am 6 months out TLKR and to say it's been a tough ride would be an understatement. I am a candidate for RTKR, but the thought truly terrifieS me. I'm glad your journey 2nd time around had been so much easier. but as for me, my head is nowhere near even being able to think about it.

• Posted

Sorry, that should read..... thank you for your encouragement.

• Posted

I know exactly where you're coming from. Originally I was having mine done 4 months apart, but no way could I face it. The first knee was excruciating at times, especially going from a bent to straight knee or vice versa. 2 others I knew went ahead with their second at 6 months and were pleased they did. It was at 10 months when I decided the new knee was worth it all, even if there are a couple of small issues that the surgeon assures me will settle in the next 6 months.

At present I'm so glad I've done it. I can't sleep again, but I'm so happy with the pain level this time. Fingers crossed that it continues this way. You will know when the time is right for you. I wish you all the best through the rest of your recovery.

• Posted

I had my second TKR fifteen weeks ago. I was dreading it as my first TKR was a not a good experience.

Yes, the pain was as bad at first but I managed it much better. I knew exact,y which pain relief worked for me, no hit and miss this time. This time recovery has been much faster. I didn't get too hung up about exercising, if the pain and swelling was bad I eased off, I was also more positive,I decided to get up and go and not stop in bed too long. Ten days after the op I went to a local coffee morning using a tri walker.Yes it was painful and difficult but I did it, fantastic for my moral.

I'm not there yet nearly four months down the line but I am doing much better than the first time, I rarely take pain killers now, I don't use a stick or anything and sleep is no problem. My bend still needs work, 115 and my leg straightening is nearly there.

I go to a physio class for TKRs once a week and that motivates me to keep doing the exercises.The youngest in the class is 55 and I'm the eldest at 80.

I'm so happy now I've had my second knee done.I'm so looking forward to the summer when I can once more enjoy lovely walks by the river in our beautiful Yorkshire Dales.

• Posted

That's fantastic news. I'm so pleased for you. Thank you for sharing, it's encouraging for the rest of us.

You live in a beautiful area. Which Dale are you in? I have a brother in Swaledale, not far from Reeth. Our great grandfather hailed from Middleham.

• Posted

We don't live in the Dales Lynda,wish we did.We love walking around Bolton Abbey,Grassington area so we go there as often as we can.

• Posted

I too am having a similar experience with my latest tkl. I had my right one done 11/21/17 and just had the left done on 01/21/2020. I was dreading the first 8 weeks as I was in constant pain and could not sleep in my bed. With this new one I don't have that feeling of a block of cement around my knee and I don't mind the knee being touched and so I've been able to sleep some in my bed. I had a hard time believing the folks that were up and around in just a matter of weeks but now I can see how it's possible. I even put off having it done till I retired. So glad it's going so well. I'm not here bragging about it just want to give others hope that it can be two completely different experiences. Good luck to you on your recovery and hope it keeps going well for you.

• Posted

Hi Bobbymac,

I'm so pleased you're having a better experience second time round as well. Long may it continue for us both and, as you say, give hope to those who have to make the tough decision to go through more,of what is really very brutal surgery. Wishing you all the best for the remainder of your recovery.

• Posted

That's great news I have my left T N R in 12 days time my other one was done in 2018

I am hoping this one is going to be less painful as my my previous one was hell

• Posted

Good luck Defender. I wish you all the best for your operation and recovery and truly hope you have a similar experience.

• Posted

how long or are you able to get upstairs

my last T K R was a bad experience but it was really bad I left it too long.

first thing my surgeon said to me in the morning was that was horendous.

I didn't think I was ever going to get a bend but a soon as the swelling eased it all came together.

( I am now counting down the days 11 more to go. )

• Posted

In the UK we have to climb a flight of stairs before being discharged from hospital. I can't go up and down using alternate legs yet. I was taught ABC to go up: A - able leg first, B - bad leg next and finally C - crutch or cane. It's the reverse to come down C - crutch or cane, B - bad leg and finally A - able leg.

Last time I could go upstairs on alternate legs around a month after surgery, but it was 2 months before I could come down.

• Posted

Yes I remember having to do the stairs.

And having to get as close to 90 degree as possible.

I found this forum a great source of help in the recovery 1st time around.

• Posted

Yes you can feel very alone after coming home from hospital. I don't think enough thought is given to prepare patients for recovery.

Yes, I was told it would be painful, 6 weeks to mobilise, 12 to start returning to normal and a year plus for full recovery, but no-one explained how all the surrounding tissues would be affected, the overall discomfort, aches and pains, inability to sleep, the fatigue etc. Although this recovery is much better from the pain point of view, everything else applies still, but I know it will be worth it in the end. This first month is the worst bit, I'm now in the really uncomfortable stage, but it will improve and be worth it in the end.

Thank goodness for forums where we can share information and offer support. Good luck with the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.