Rumbling Kidney Stone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just wanted some thoughts and advice on my situation.  Maybe it's one others recognise.  Some details:

I had a kidney stone about 17 years ago.  The day before I had really bad stomach cramps and constipation (worst I've ver had). About 10am the next morning I was doubled up in pain and went to A and E.  They gave me strong pain killers, sent me home, and I suffered about 12 hours and it went.  I must have passed the stone.

In the intervening years, maybe once every 2 or 3 years, I've had what was probably grit...colicky feeling, bit of back pain, bit of IBS, bit of sharp bladder, but nothing too intense and passed in 2 or 3 days.

6 weeks ago, I woke up with a sharp pain in my left testicle and back pain.  Usual IBS type sympoms a fair bit of pain, but not intense like first time.  Seemed to go in 12 hours or less.  Probably a stone that passed.  Not a big one.

Since then, I've had a more or less consistent colicky abdomen: constipation, some diarhhea, feeling slight chill on bowel (not much), bloated, uncomfortable, ocassional sharp pain in right kidney (again not frequent), back pain (not heavy), need to wee more and am drinking lots to flush (inc lemon juice and water). 

I did ring 111 and they said see a doc (4 weeks ago).  I went for  blood test and did a sample (both negative).  Doc said, "very likely a small kidney stone.  If it was large you'd be in more pain by now.  Could be you;ve had two and this is the other kdney.  No point scanning.  May not show up.  Drink lots: it will pass within a few weeks or maybe a month or so. if you do get bad pain, go to AnE, but you might not."

So I am left with this discomfort and wondering if anyone else has had the same and what it is (a small stone?) and if there's any advice.

Many thanks in advance!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's been about 5 months now and still got much the same issue though they come and go. Anyone know how long but can last?

Tips for moving things along?

• Posted

Hi David....

Even after getting rid of stones more can form and sometimes quite quickly.

Once again its the same.....drink drink drink,try and flush everything through....

• Posted

I am still suffering this and it's now getting to be a bit lke a diary - that may be interesting for other sufferers, noting how the symptoms can go through phases and last a fair while.

Recently the issue has been a burning sensation at the tip of my penis.  A bit like there is a small piece or pieces of glass stuck in there.  I've had this for about a week to 10 days, some days worse thatn others.  It's often worse in the morning.  Allied to this, at times when I decide I need to go for a wee, I really do.  I go from a slight feeling to a desperate need.  Sometimes, I get a feeling of needing to wee even when I have nothing in there.  The glass-like pain can be intense at times - stopping me sleeping.

I suspect that this is more grit, but it's been a while coming.

I am drinking lots of water.  It's all I can do.

• Posted

I have just passed a stone and have caught it. If you read my previous comment, it now seems obvious that I was going to do this. I feltbit was stuck so was ready gorvit smile But that's a first for me..to catch it. It's about a centimetre long, brown and vaguely pancake shaped with one edge sharper. Take it into the docs for testing?

• Posted

Yes, take it to the doctor, it's good to know what it's made from and might give them a clue as to why you got it in the first place. Then, they may be able to advise re your diet to prevent recurrence.

• Posted

I will thanks.  On close inspection, it was about 80mm long, 40mm wide and slightly bowl shaped, one side being rounded, the other quite spikey and crystaline.  Funny things aren't they?  No wodner this has been causing me toruble for months!  Just got to hope there isn't another one in there two.

If it's oxilate (after testing), I've heard drinking milk helps, so I may have a go at that.

• Posted

Hi Buddy,

Just been to the doctors today, with pain under my left rib cage, bloating and pain feeling like wanting to go to the toilet. Significant pain on my left side and put of stomach. Doctor stated that I had blood in my urine and is sending me for a CT scan, I suppose I am looking for reassurance as my both my parents suffer with kidney stones. Although been on the internet and I have pretty much every deadly disease known to man. Do my symptoms sound familiar?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Yes they do.  I didn't have blood in the urine for a while, but I did get to that point.  I ended up passing my stone - which was about 80mm if i remember.

Maybe yours has moved down more than mine had at the start or maybe it's bigger.  It's hard to sya, but yes, those symptoms are like mine.  I had more like yours for my first stone about 10 years ago and the second one (above) rumbled on for months before it got to the stage you describe.

I am not drinking more water - and milk too.  We'll see how this goes.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.