Ruminating for hours on end. Madness, anyone else do this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have noticed tonight how messed up my mind is. I got home about half 5 it's now half 1 and I have done nothing except cry loads, dwell on my anxiety/mental health, looking on the Internet about God knows what to do with mental health, talking to people on WhatsApp mainly about my problems and having a bath for nearly 2 hours basically dwelling the whole time then. I feel like I've gone mad, 8 hours just gone like that basically just obsessively thinking the whole time and can't seem to stop. Even if I tried to watch TV or go out or talk to someone or read I still can't escape from it it. Does anyone else suffer from this sometimes? I'm worried it's the sertraline making me worse. I had some really good days at the start of the week and then I get some news about a job I have to make a decision on and it truly f*cks me up I'm in constant anxiety since then. Feels like I can't deal with problems they just affect me so greatly. I know I've left my anxiety untreated so long but now I just dwell on how I'm gonna fix it, it's utter madness. I need something like a tranquiliser when I'm like this, not to put me to sleep but just to slow my brain down. Is there such a thing? Seems impossible to get help off my gp all she gave me was beta blockers which don't do anything for my mind. Sorry for the long post I only meant for it to be a short one, but hey crazy rambling brain here!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain a week ago I had my aniexty under control then I passed out at the dentist and had a panic attack when I come round. Since then im a constant wreck thinking my Heart has problems.
  • Posted

hello Han, maybe some good sleep will make you ok. I was on Setraline before, but i took it only for 3 days coz i ddnt like the effect it had. When you get hyper try to just breath deepply and tk camomille tea, this will make u completely relax and sleepy. take some day off to rest 
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. Just wish there was an slow down button. Talk to your doctor, there are medications to help with calm the mind and body until the antidepressant balances. I know for a fact when starting an antidepressants the first few weeks really suck. Making the anxiety and depression worse. But this is just a side effect. It took me alot longer than 8 weeks to feel better and myself again. It does take time. I always wondered how a medicine can change thing. How can it take these feelings and thoughts away, how brighter and full of life you can be. Anxiety and depression only making you see the negative. It actually does. It's the brain chemistry. And overtime with help talking to a psychiatrists, medication, and life changing moves will help oooo so much. Gotta keep busy, stay with love ones, and see the beauty in everything. Give it time please. I thought I hit rock bottom, I 100% thought I lost my mind and lost my happy way of living forever. Like I said it's the anxiety and depression that make us only think negative . It is an illness, but when illness happens we get treatment. Simple. Remind yourself it's the anxiety/depression that makes you feel and think this way and say to yourself "I'm in control" and breathe. Write it on your phone if you need too. I did. Bad times like this don't last forever. Your body, mind, and soul will heal.

• Posted

Let's start easy, Hanhoo. First anxiety does indeed screw around with your head, and your body. The constant horrible thoughts bombard you. Everyone who suffers with anxiety has these toughts. I am not a big drug fan, but in the case of anxiety, it's one of the first steps. You wondered about sertraline. Go to google and ask about side effects. If your problems match  to the point that you think that's a problem, check back with doctor. At the same time you are doing that, put up a new post here asking if anyone has experience with the drug, so you will have answers from here and what you find on google.

Next, You don't want to try to slow your brain down, you want to get calm enough to use your brain and think clearly. Then you will be able to do other things to help yourself, take some control of your reactions to the bad thoughts all of us here get, and start to get better. You need an alert mind, but a calmer outlook and response to what's going on. The right prescription will do that.

I know I'm giving you "homework", but taking charge and learning how to deal with this will empower and encourage you. Next way to help yourself, and is very important, is to make sure you are eating food that will help calm the anxiety and not the food that makes it worse. I got this info. from google, and my doctor confirmed that eating right makes a lot of difference. One drink of a wrong food sent me through the roof within 10 minutes. That was coffee. Half a cookie did it, too, sugar being one of the wrong foods. You are going to feel a bit better just knowing you are doing the right things for yourself. Post back and let me know how you are doing. We will go on from there. You will most likely be getting info., advise and encouragement from others. Hang in there, you can do this. It is going to be okay, Hanhoo. Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.