Runner recently diagnosed with RA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

just wanted some opinions regarding exercise and food to cope and lead a balanced life with RA. I was running lots and doing a lot of strength training with circuits. I was diagnosed 3 months ago because my right wrist was in severe pain. The doctor has prescribed 15mg of Methotrexate and says exercise is good for me. However, any form of pressure on my wrists and sometimes my ankles causes pain. I'm used to pain with endurance running however it seems that any exercise that causes any mild discomfort should be stopped? I'm told yoga is good, but there are only a few positions that dont put pressure on your wrists.

Wanted to understand how other athletes cope? Is there a particular diet that works? Is drinking a complete no no? The pain in my wrist is yet as severe with no effect from Methotrexate, although the doctor says the swelling has reduced.

Quite life changing for me. No exercise is frustrating along with the fact that its been a while and Methotrexate hasn't taken away my pain. The doctor is going to introduce embril injections, has anyone tried this? I was hoping the pain would subside and I would be able to go back exercising normally again, but that hasn't happened yet. I miss my excercise regime which was my key to sanity with a stressful work environment.

Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I take good care of my diet and it's very mixed / varied but I still believe in everything in moderation e.g I have the occasional drink, still have coffee and only have sugar in very small amounts.... not added to drinks etc. I go to the gym and use the treadmill to power walk, the cross trainer or a static bike. Swimming is more difficult as it tends to hurt my shoulders and hips. Guess you just need to find the activities that suits your lifestyle. 
    • Posted

That's true. Just don't want to over do it and suffer later. As an endurance athlete it's always extreme.
    • Posted

I really want to get off Methotrexate and find a natural, long-term solution. 
    • Posted

If only that were possible. I've seen many testimonials from people who've tried the non-drug route and then mostly had to revert back to the tried, trusted and well researched treatments. I can understand your worries and concerns but please remember that if you don't do something, then it's highly likely that your RA will return - and poddi with a vengeance. I hate having to take these strong & toxic med's BUT they have saved me from a scary and painful future. Hope you find the best way for you. ☺
    • Posted

I tried and I reached a point where I couldn't move.  I hobbled into my rheumatologist and begged for meds.  And as you know Methotrexate takes awhile before it works.  I had to take preds until the pain was manageable.  Believe me, it would be wonderful to be on natural products.  For me, it didn't work.  I tried acupuncture, reflexology, grape seed extract, fish oil, tart cherry pills, and many more that I still take it.  I should be starting remacade shortly and will let you all know how it works.
    • Posted

Sorry you had to find out the hard way Cindy, but think you're more or less agreeing with what I said ?  Good luck with the new med - hope it gives great results.
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm finding not exercising frustrating too. I mostly did low impact exercise such as swimming, cycling, walking and yoga. Now I try to do very modified versions such as a very short slow walk or swim and modified yoga positions which don't strain my wrists/ankles (almost impossible!) The advice I've had is to exercise when not having a flare - I hope to get to that stage so I can re-build my strength.

As far as drinking is concerned, I believe that methotrexate and similar drugs are very hard on the liver and it's not a good idea to drink alcohol at all.

Best of luck 

• Posted

Add Tai Chi and/or Chi Gung to the mix. Tai Chi is perfect if your knees can handle the half bend that's the basic resting spot for Tai Chi.
  • Posted

I've just come back from a dance camp and whilst usually I'd be doing maybe 3 different dances a day I had to limit myself to just one, and a gentle one at that. But I did attend more and just lay in the space, moving with the music and moving bits that weren't painful. Not what I used to do but still taking part! Camping too was different - couldn't carry the water but could still light the fire. I became the go to girl for tea!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.