Runner with WPW

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,Im a 51 year old male and was diagnosed with wpw over 35 years ago when aged 16! I have been a active runner all that time. I suffer with about 5 to 6 episodes of SVT per year often triggered by physical activity.I have read that it can occasionaly be life threatening(didnt realise this before).Also I get ectopic heart beats which compound the situation.Is anyone else here a runnner or into physical exercise with WPW? Look forward to hearing from you! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i'm 30 years old I was an athlete that competed internationally up until age 24. I was diagnosed with WPW last year and had surgery immediately. The reason why I had the surgery was to have one less thing to worry about , health wise,when I'm older. Has anyone recommended that you have an ablation?.

• Posted

Hi,No no one has suggested a ablation ,maybe because the SVT is rare.Are you a distance runner?
    • Posted

Wpw is super rare. I've heard of Svt happening for different reasons. I do not run long distances. Not sure how that answer can help u.

• Posted

Hi again! To be honest I can go a long time without SVT attacks and then they tend to cluster. It can make me anxiuose which ironically can bring on a attack. Im going to keep running unless it becomes a real problem.What is your event? Paul.
    • Posted

I had one svt that I remember. I never had an "event" , standard physical and I asked about heart burn. After that an EKG showed the deformity. I'm surprised ur not getting an ablation.

• Posted

Hi ,Which track and field event did tou favour?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.