Running

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm 6 months post TKR, I had a manipulation 27th March. I'm not going to lie I have found this journey really hard , getting the bend, getting it to straighten etc etc, I had to give up my job as it was to physical and they were not very sympathetic with my needs, but luckily I have found my perfect job working in a school with a child with learning disabilities which I start after summer in September, i was chuffed as it's been a hard few months. BUT I was told today the child who is only 4 is " a runner " meaning he's always trying to run away .. my face dropped haha now I'm not quiet so excited as I havnt even managed the stairs properly let alone run ! I got discharged last week from PT now I'm finally able to pedal the bike , any suggestions on how to get running or walking faster 😁 there's so kuch to this recovery really wish I hadn't done it now x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No real advice but lots of sympathy.  I am in about the same boat as you as far as my TKR was in Jan and I had a MUA in April.   Thankfully I am retired...don't know how folks that have to work manage.  I am just now getting my energy kind of back, still struggle with the stairs and because I am not walking "properly" I am back in PT and seeing a chiropractor to get my body back in alinement.  It is a looooong recovery but as the famous (at least on this blog site) Chico Marx says your knee will heal when it heals.  

As you know after a TKR we are not suppose to run but walking fast...have you tried walking fast on a treadmill?  That is when I figured out I need to go see a chiropractor because it really caused my hips and lower back to hurt.  

I hope for you that this 4 year old is short with short legs biggrin so that walking to catch him will be easy!!!  

Good luck and all the best on this adventure.  

• Posted

Unfortunately, running for you, as for all of us, is a thing of the past...as are a number of other activities that put pounding pressure on the implant device...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

This fact is best described in an absolutely true story as it happened to me...  In 2009, I needed my hip replaced.  Doc found that I had a necrotic (bone death) hip which had already consumed about 30% of the joint.  He asked me a number of questions to see if I fell into any of the categories known for causing this problem.  No, I didn't take drugs, sniff Sterno or been in a major car accident.  Surgery went perfectly; saw him two weeks post-op...everything checked out fine.  Then I asked him THE question...

"So, doc, when can I get back on my skates?"

"Skates?"

"Yeah.  I've been playing hockey for 45 years."

Lightbulb moment for the doc.  Now he knew why my hip was dying.  Over four decades of slamming that hip over and over and over again had taken its toll on my hip.  His response:

"You can start up again as soon as you recover your strength but I will be seeing you again in about three years.  That's about how long your implant will last if you go back to your favorite sport.  Otherwise, the hip will be great for 25-30 years."

I sold all my hockey stuff the next day.  I made a choice...and you must do the same.  Ignore the list and you will need a new knee again pretty soon.  Give up running, etc. and you'll be fine for 25 years or more.  Choose wisely...

• Posted

I'm now nearly 5 months post op and found this the hardest op ever.

Because I like to play tennis and 59 years of age my PT had me power walking on the walking machine, upping the speed as I walked at the gym and also running around the gym slowly afterwards.

Can now run for a ball - so long as it's not to far away on court.

Hope this helps.

Sue

• Posted

We have the surgery in hopes of being better I run or not after 4 months 6 months whatever it may be you begin to wonder if there's light at the end of the tunnel. No one is sympathetic with you or really cares because it's not them going through the pain. Yeah I would never do it again because of all the pain still and missing out on the things in life that we got it fixed for to begin with yes it's very frustrating. I was told you can never run on a total knee replacement so you'll have to learn to walk fast or just beat the odds and woke up to running????

• Posted

Totally agree with you. Only went ahead with this op as I have no cartridge left in my knees.

Was told by Consultant that I will be able to play tennis, doubles not singles's. And now practice on a Wednesday afternoon.

When I started physio, they knew that I was a tennis player, so she got me moving.

She had me 'power walking' and running and this was all within 4-5 months of the op.

I still work out everyday and yes my knee gets very stiff and some days I can't wait for bedtime.

Two or three times a week I go to the swimming pool and walk up and down and each end I hold onto the rides, lift my legs up and straight out behind me, then bring the knees in and out, I find this is really quite good.

I also do cycling at the gym as well as at home along with lunges and plastic bag on bad leg and whipping it back under a chair.

Take the dog for 2 walks a day.

I was told that between 6-9 months the stiffness will ease up, let's hope there right.

It seems that my whole life revolves around exercise and wrapping my leg with the ice pack.

Dont you feel like you've aged 20 years!!!!!

Sue 😩

• Posted

Yup...doubles not singles.  Power walking but no running.  The problem is the pounding the knee takes....

The American College of Sports Medicine has said that each additional pound of body mass puts four extra pounds of stress on the knee.

If you weigh 100 pounds, that's 400 pounds of pressure on the knee when you run.  Wanna destroy your implant?  Run your butt off...just know that a revision is NEVER as solid and tight as the first one.  Plus it's a whole new op and another year-long rehab.  Everyone gets to make their own decisions.  Knee will last 3 years or 25...make your choice...

• Posted

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your running days are over nothing more nothing less.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.