Running on new hip

Posted , 24 users are following.

I am 48 in a few weeks. 2 years ago I was hit by a car running. Segmented tibial fracture and fibula fracture. It was fixed with a titanium rod and screws. 1 fracture was slow to heal and I finally started running in January but my leg was weak. I ran more as my leg got stronger and I managed to play cricket during the season, batting and wicketkeeping. First started getting hip pain in May. Thought it was just due to overcompensating for the opposite leg. X ray showed arthritis and bone cams on femur. Now on waiting list for hip replacement. The other hip also hurting a little. Would like to run again after, if not on the road then enough to play cricket. Can swim and cycle at the moment with little pain. Who else has managed to run or be very active after the replacement.

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a total hip replacement Oct 2014, ceramic and titanium.  I have been a life long skier and instructor.  The doctor gave me the go ahead to ski February.  Sticking to groomed slopes I skied 3 weeks in Vail.  I started slow, by the end of 3 weeks I was was pretty close to my old form with a bit less endurance.  I did find that it was great for getting the muscles around the new hip to really engage.  You just have to know when to quit.
    • Posted

Hello! I am looking for a good Hip Surgeon in the Denver area. Who do you recommend and what type of joint replacement did you have? Striker? Depuy? Medacta? Thank you!  
  • Posted

I am 6 months out total hip replacement. I fell at work, was airborne, and landed my entire weight on right hip.  I have ceramic and metal prosthesis. I have been a runner for forty years, for health, emotional well being, and spirituality. If I have to give it up, I will be quite sad and depressed.  I am 57. Walking if beneficial, but it doesn't provide the rest for the soul.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?  I have secretly jogged and been chastised by my daughter. smile

• Posted

The answer is an easy one - forget the running/jogging - go cycling !!

It's a no brainer. Better for you than running whatever your condition.

• Posted

I can totally relate, Ann.  I wasn't into running but I was an avid Pickleball player.  It was my life after retiring.  Just loved it.  Fun competition.  Great exercise.  Really social.  I played almost every day.  Then the arthritis in my hip started and I have hardly played at all the past year.  My doctor has said she hopes I never play again.  It's a lot of fast stop and start movements.  Some running but in short bursts.  It is definitely a sport that attracts retired so somewhat older people and I have found that there are many out there who do play with replaced hips and knees.  I'll just have to see if I can get there.  I do want to make sure I get strong enough before I even think of it.  But I totally agree about the emotional well being from exercise like that -- it is huge and I really miss it.

• Posted

Hi Leslie. I had THR on November 10. And was playing pickleball like you were. Did you get back into it and if you did how long after surgery. I definitely want to play again. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Kurt,

I did get back to playing pickleball.  My TLHR was June 2016.  I started playing light pickleball about 5-6 months after that.  Really found that I needed to keep up with my hip exercises in order to be able to play well with no pain.  I’m back to pretty normal play now with no pain.  I do try to limit the number of times I play to 2, maybe 3, times a week.  I do waterfit, walk and other exercises instead of playing pickleball every day of the week!    My surgeon had played pickleball in the past and he told me to wait 6 months before going back.   Good luck with your recovery.....there are lots of pickleball players with new body parts!

• Posted

Thank you for getting back with me. It does sound like 6 months is the norm. I feel like I could go play now at 3 months but I will wait. I miss the social part of pickleball so much. Again thanks so much.
  • Posted

Hello Everyone

Really nice to hear other people’s views on exercise following total hip replacements. You've all inspired me to share my story and ask for your advice re running. I am now 27 and had a total L hip replacement in Dec 2013 aged 25 after suffering with diagnosed osteoarthritis for 3yrs. My new hip is ceramic & nylon. 

I was born with hip dysplasia of the L hip which was picked up at birth. I've since found out this is commonly seen where babies lay 'breech' in-utero (bottom down instead of head down for a significant period of time), however this wasn't the case for me as I was born in the head down position. From birth I was closely observed by doctors and had regular x-rays until I was around 2yrs old when I was discharged. I never had any surgery on my hip and had no problems walking or with general physical development as a child & never complained of pain. (Apparently i was walking at 9months)!

In 2010 after a few years of mild discomfort around my L hip and after numerous confusing unsuccessful GP appointments I was finally sent for an X-ray which confirmed I had severe osteoarthritis of the L hip which the Dr confirmed was due to the hip not forming correctly/fully (a result of the hip dysplasia). I was shocked with the findings (up until that point I hadn't even known about my hip dysplasia as my parents had never needed to tell me & I never asked). 

Between 2010-2012 (surprisingly) I was at my peak fitness, I weighed 8st 6lbs and trained at the gym every evening after work, spin, body pump, body attack, ashtanga yoga, body combat and body strength circuits were in my weekly routine. At my fittest, on Saturday's I would train back to back from 9-1 jumping from one gym class to the next & my body coped with it no problem. At this point I was working in an office sat a desk all day so my hip wasn't being strained unless in the gym.

I managed ok until the end of 2012/ start of 2013 when I started university doing a clinical vacation on my feet all day. I began relying on 60mg Codeine and 1g Paracetamol 4 hourly to help manage the pain I was in & developed IBS due to the tablets. By August 2013 I was struggling to walk and developed a limp - this is when I called my surgeon & asked to be put forward for the surgery. He was very supportive & happily put me through. He said they usually hold back performing such operations on younger people but given the state my hip was in he was simply waiting for my go ahead to book me in for the op. In 2013 I had to stop exercising (begrudgingly) and by the end of the year leading up to my op I was using crutches to walk & used my grandfather’s wheelchair cushion in my car for driving  to keep my knees/hips at a 90 degree angle. All of this had a huge effect on my confidence & it took me a while to come to terms with the surgery I needed, it was really hard & my family suffered seeing how upsetting it was for me. By stopping exercising my weight went up to 9st 8lbs which was my heaviest which hugely effected my self-image and happiness. 

I finally had the op 27/12/13 and within 6 weeks was off the crutches, strong prescribed drugs and back at university studying and on placement as well as in the gym starting off with low impact exercise. It took me a while to get back to normal (both physically and mentally) but with determination and support from family, friends and my amazing partner I have managed to come through the other end & now feel I'm back to me again smile

I was on paracetamol and Ibuprofen daily for a year post op which just about managed the post op pain and discomfort, In Jan 2015 I completely came off all tablets and haven't needed them since. I am still in the gym doing weekly Pump, Spin, LBT, Yoga, Circuits and long distance walks in the Dales pain free!

I really want to try adding jogging into my exercise regime purely for weight loss, I don't want to put extra strain on my new hip and R good hip though. My surgeon had no concerns about me going back to placement/uni or the gym. What are your thoughts?

I hope my story helps those who may be in a similar situation to me & to reassure that things do get better.

I'm still working towards being back at my PB weight & fitness. I currently fluctuate between 9st - 9.3st and work hard to eat well and exercise as much as I can. I take time out to have back massages when I can afford them to help ease the muscles and give them some tlc which I believe is really important smile

Thanks for reading my story and good luck to everyone in their recoveries! I would love to hear from you and happy to answer any questions if I can help from my situation.

• Posted

Hi Anna,

i have recently had a total left hip replacement on 09 March 2015. Initially it started out as groin strain and I was admitted to hospital last year and underwent a hip aspiration to see what fluid was in the joint itself.

in February 2015 I was declared not fit for work by my employer as I had a really bad limp. I went for a 2nd opinion from a orthopaedic surgeon who until now I was very skeptical about but now I know he is a true trained professional.

i applied through my health insurers and they duly obliged. I went for another consultation with my surgeon and he guided me through the process and showed me the type of prosthesis he was going to use in my hip replacement surgery. 

It has been three months since I had my operation. I'm walking without pain. It was 3 days after and I was walking without crutches albeit in a we bit of pain. I'm pain free now and don't have any pain or regrets about the operation being done. I do a lot of walking. I was told I could never run again but swimming and cycling I was able to do. I used to do triathlons, off road running and duathlons but now have had to scale that back. I'm a bigger solid guy but not fat. Im slowly easing my way back into the gym but for now low resistance is the key. 

Without these brilliant surgeons people like ourselves wouldn't be proclaiming all the great things we have experienced and for this I am greatful. All the best for your future endeavors though.

• Posted

Hi fredrunner!  I'm 48,  had both hips done - the last one in 2012.  I had been quite active when younger but kids and the hip problems I slowed down.  With the new hips and lack of pain :-) I decided to be sensible and make them 'last' as I was so young and likely to face further replacement despite how good the new hips are meant to be.  My exercise regime was basically swimming 5 days a week but I was conscious that whilst not feeling unfit I felt my mobility was on the decline.

Having said I wouldn't run, about six months I decided I wanted to get on top of that declining feeling.  I don't know about the state of my hips but now running I do feel I have increased my mobility in my hips strangely enough and health wise I feel better too.  

I don't quite want to curl up and die - probalby extreme language but the point for me is that was the feeling I had getting replacement hips as that's what old folk get done and I'm not a pensioner (the nicest thing my consultant said to me was you are a bit young to get your hips done).  Hence my initial decision to be sensible and 'make the last'.  But now running again, I am not regretting the physical and mental benefits this is giving me.  

What will the long term future bring I don't know - I certainly didn't guess I would have both hips replaced in my mid forties.

I have always felt the advice regarding hips was geared to the older patients. Now many people who are younger and more active are getting hips replaced, it would be nice to see some advice geared to this!  My advice - give yourself a good period to bed them in, the swimming was great (and still is), then start slow, listen to your body.  I run three times a week, two half hour runs and an hour run and I don't know if I'll go for a marathon but I'm happy where I am and much happier than before when I wasn't running.....  

• Posted

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed. I am due a hip replacement sometime over the next few weeks and have been very nervous about it!! Not knowing what to expect and what I will be able to do afterwards. I have found your stories inspirational and helpful.

Wish me luck!

• Posted

Hi Fred ,

what is the condition after hip replacement now can you run normally . Your help on this will be really helpful

Regards

Kapil

• Posted

I did exactly that after my metal/metal resurf. Then got hit by a van while cycling which smashed it! Now ceramic on UHMWPE, cup and head both modular. I'm running around 10-11 miles a week (but accidentally did 14 last week); surgeon happy. He is also a runner and, as well as being a good friend, we have run in some of the same 10k races. I've always beaten him - I've warned him that I'll report him to the GMC if he starts beating me... Saw him a couple of weeks ago, he reckons that my hip, which is fine, (and shoulder and heart) and his age put us even in the decrepitude stakes!!

• Posted

hi,

My name is Kim. I am 2 years out of a bilateral hip replacement.  for 2 years i was in severe pain alllll the time.  i went to 3 doctors.  all took xrays and all gave a different diagnosis.  RA, burcitis and arthritis.  finally i went to a doctor who just watched me walk and sent me to a surgeon who immediately diagnosed me with AVN.. first hip replaced in july second in oct.  i was 53 and heart broken.  as a young woman i was a fire fighter and stayed in excellent shape.  i have been told by my surgeon that the right hip was so damaged that they had to use a larger ball joint to install.  so i can not do ANY impact excercise at all with the chance of dislocating the larger ball.  my weight has ballooned and the scars are horrible.  if any one has any ideas of exercise i can do i would so appreciate it.  i tried zumba but was too high impact.  some yoga i can do.  

• Posted

Hi Kim, have you tried biking yet? Great low impact exercise that gets the heart rate up. Swimming it terrific too. 0 impact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.