Running out before I’m due

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last night I had a terrible night in bed! I’ve had over 10 spinal operations. I take morphine 100mg twice a day and pregablin 300mg twice a day

I laid in bed with terrible nerve pain in my left leg! I took 2 extra tablets 10 hours after my last dose then then another two 4 hours later! By this time it was 4am I fell asleep and woke with bad pain again and took another too so effectively I took 6 extra tablets which is three days worth! 

I need to put in for a script but terrified it will with be stopped and I will have to wait till Wednesday  when I should get my prescription. 

I’ve had a situation in the past where I had ran low but that was two years ago and I’ve changed surgeries since then

Yes I shouldn’t of done it but when u have  pain through the night I will do almost anything tonstop it and when u know u have tablets that will take the edge off then I will take them! 

My partner gave me a telling off quite rightly and has told me he will now be looking after my medication

I really don’t know what to do! I have experienced withdrawal from this drug before and to say I had sickness was an understatement as well as having no energy, sweating, depression and the list goes on

So I’m turning to u guys for help! I’m alreading ducking as I know some off u will tell me off! 

Adele x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adele

No point in telling you off as you seem well aware that it is something done out of intolerable pain even though it was the wrong thing to do. You are on the highest dose that can be given 600mg and you have taken 3 days worth extra because the nerve pain broke through even on that amount alongside your morphine. I feel for you having gone through so many surgeries and not yet being pain free.

I think a certain amount of honesty is needed here with your GP but with a slight twist. As you probably already know, Pregabalin affects the brain chemistry and central nervous system, causing for many patients brain fog, memory loss, mental confusion. You thought that as the pain level was so high you must have missed a dose and couldn't remember when you last took it. You were not aware that you had taken more than you should until it was time to re-order the script. Tell your GP that you realise this cannot happen again and your partner has now taken over the capsules and is giving them to you at the correct dosage and times and keeping the box away from you. Telling the GP this way is not something I would normally advise but I think a little understanding is required here and you have, to a degree, sorted out a plan to stop you being able to overdose yourself again. You need to discuss why your pain is breaking through and what else, if anything, could be done to help you. You may have to face the Doctor saying that you should come off Pregabalin and try something different (although what I no have idea). You face withdrawals coming off a drug like this and will need all the help you can get if this is what is advised. 

Prepare yourself and get this done as you must not go a full 3 days without any Pregabalin as this will put you at risk of seizures - read the leaflet that comes with the box and show your Doctor this in case he/she is unaware. You have got yourself into a bit of a pickle but need to face up to it and deal with it today. I hope you get the understanding and help you need. Pm me if you would like to or do post again and let us know how things go.

Regards, Liz

• Posted

What a lovely message,

I phoned this morning and ordered my medication, the receptionist said she will put the script through! But I wasn’t honest with her and I may pay the price as it may turn out that this item was refused.

Brain frog?? Never heard of that before but I did go through a stage of forgetting almost everything! I even lost my car one day in a car park!!

I still suffer memory loss! But never put it down to pregablin 

When I think back to when I first took Lycra I was a zombie on 50mg

I couldn’t even stand up but my brain has obviously got used to them

I also had a ileostomy in 1996 then two recent small bowl resection hence my pain killers plus the discectomies and laminectomies on my back 

I’m a walking disaster and the worlds worst patient lol

So fingers crossed my prescription is ready if not I’m gonna be spending then next few days in bed as that’s what it does to me if I don’t have them

Thank you for writing such a detailed and understanding message!

Bless you

Adele xx

• Posted

Your reply took a day to come through and I do hope you got your script and have not had to retire to bed for the weekend. If I may I will private message you tomorrow. There is something I would like to ask you about one of your health conditions (something I am going through right now myself) and you may be able to help me on. I will understand though if you prefer not to. It has nothing to do with Pregabalin, or at least I don't think it has. Have a good weekend x Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.