Running out of options.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am new here. I was diagnosed with IBS recently. I am experiencing stomach issues for one year now. I am coeliac, lactose intolerant and have other proven food allergies together with hashimoto. Last year I went to the doctor who incorrectly diagnosed me with something else and after the treatment I started to have huge stomach issues, bleeding and enormous cramps. It has been over a year now and I am not able to get rid off this. I had gastroscopy, ultrasounds, xray and calprotectin test, everything seems fine. I have bad cramps which usually wake me up at night, losing weight, huge back pain, flu like symptoms. I have tried almost everything to get rid of this - special diet, therapy, exercising, swimming, found new hobbies, tried numerous pills, probiotics, meditation..

When I got finally better I caught something like stomach bug and since that time it is like hell. I asked my doctor about some nutrition therapist but was denied treatment because according to him I have nothing serious. Also my doctor doesn't seem to be bothered at all and told me that if I stop thinking about it it will disappear. Unfortunately the pain is sometimes so severe I can't even get up. Is there anything else I could do? I honestly don't know how more I can help myself. I have diarrhea and constipation rarely just severe pain. Is it normal to have IBS only with pain and nausea?

Just want to let you know that I feel with everyone who has this 😦.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Oh my goodness Tia! That’s a long time to be dealing with that. I’m so sorry you’ve had to do that. My symptoms used to be mild, but as of recently they have flared up quite routinely. You mentioned back pain. Where in your back do you usually have your pain?

It definitely sounds to me like you need a new doctor first of all! Why pay him for his services if he’s not providing them? Some GPs can be so frustrating when they run out of options and don’t know what else to do. it would be a whole lot better if they just said so and we could move on. Have you tried a naturopath?

• Posted

Thank you, yes it is very tiring 😕. It was not GP (because my GP told me she cant run any test and I have to go to GL doctor only), so I was talking about my gastro doctor. I actually went there with my ibs symptoms only once and got no useful advice and when I asked about that nutritionist I was answered what you already read. So I googled at home and asked him politely about sibo test but so far no answer. I guess you are right I will have to look for another GL doctor. Will look for naturopathic doctor too. Do you think I should go for colonoscopy to be 100% sure? As my calprotectin is negative I did not think about it much.

• Posted

It is possible to have pain predominant IBS which means you will have more pain and less bowel habit change Everyone's IBS is different, no one person is the same.. It can feel like you have a stomach bug or flu. I thought I had a stomach bug when my IBS started and I had a lot of nausea, pain and constipation along with loose/urgent stools. The other conditions you have may make your IBS worse. Catching a stomach bug can also aggravate IBS. Have you tried antispasmodic medication and painkillers? Try to stay as calm as possible; this will significantly help you to manage your IBS. Anxiety triggers flare ups and makes them last longer and be more severe.

• Posted

Thank you for your answer. I have antispasmodic and painkillers and I took them but when the pain turns extreme they don't work at all. The extreme pain is similar to kidney infection so it's very difficult to stay calm during the attack but I try a lot.

• Posted

hello, i have celiac and ibs too. I discovered that dairy was a big no for me. I cut out gluten all the way around but still had issues. I later discovered that dairy gave me nausea and strong ibs symptoms. The doctors are quick to just say no gluten to us but never mention the other intolerances that often come with it. I hope you see improvement, maybe theres a trigger food still lurking somewhere? Take care, we are in this thing together

• Posted

I have had extreme IBS pain and both painkillers and an antispasmodic did help . I find anti inflammatories work the best. I took them both at the same time. The pain did feel like a kidney infection as you say but because I already had an IBS diagnosis, I didn't panic I knew the pain medication would work and there was no point in getting anxious because it would make my symptoms worse.I didn't know where to put myself because of the pain but I found that curling up in a ball on the couch really worked. If you are not taking the full dose, try taking the maximum amount allowed or ask your doctor for a different antispasmodic. My first antispasmodic made me worse, so I tried another one which was much better. Sometimes, you need to try several antispasmodics before you find one that suits you.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, what pills are you exactly taking? Thank you a lot.

• Posted

My flare ups are very rare now and only occur when stressed or anxious. If I need to take snything I take Buscopan or Ibruprofen

• Posted

Thanks, glad to hear that. My flare ups occur even when on holiday or while having fun, so I hope I will get there one day.

• Posted

I have had flare ups on holiday due to family members and a neighbour bossing me and making fake excuses for her rude behaviour and pretending she didn't mean it.My dad often puts me in awkward situations in front of her. Why, I don't know.

• Posted

hi tia. are your doctors having a laugh? see someone else and insist on a dietitians appointment, get lots of blood tests and keep everything you eat really, really bland. are YOU sure you have ibs on top of coeliac disease,? i really am not being rude saying that! it's just i got told ibs years back but i now have been told coeliac disease. ask your hospital if necessary. i really wish you luck!

• Posted

Yep, you unfortunately you have to really bug those doctors. They just seem to ignore you if your regular blood tests are normal. Id like to give them a piece of mind after all that time of telling me nothing is wrong

• Posted

agreed, i had to push for all the blood tests, scans and biopsies, my doctor wanted to leave the lot! i was not impressed, considering how long i'd struggled for!

• Posted

Sam, thank you. I had to do the same with my coeliac, I also remember that I was told by two doctors they would not run the test because I could not have it. I had to push hard for this and yes I have it. Then was told I have kidney disease too which was incorrect diagnose. I didn't go to the doctors much before so I am now surprised how it really works. I always thought that they were there to help.

• Posted

I think i mentioned it three times to my doctor's who all laughed it off and told me to stay off google. Well, needless to say not a one apologized to me when i was finally diagnosed

• Posted

Yes, I understand this as well. I have the same experience, no apology, nothing. Unfortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.