Running too early!

Posted , 7 users are following.

After Gordon's positive experience of running, I thought I'd add a cautionary tale. It's just over 5 months since my bunionectomy and second toe fusion and I've generally been doing really well. However, in a burst of enthusiasm a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist breaking into a little jog. Great, no pain at the time. I've since been experiencing burning nerve pain across two of my toes and pain at the base of the fused toe which has not been improving, probably worsening if anything. I had been really enjoying taking longer walks but at the moment, the pain is aggravated by walking over 30 minutes or so.  I finally decided to check with physio this morning and was told that it was the jogging which has irritated the nerves and is causing pain across the top of the foot and that it is too early to have started jogging with a fused toe.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd recommend to anyone considering upping the exercise, particularly if it's going to use the foot in a different and more stressful way (and yes, even my gentle and very short bursts of jogging are high impact), to check with physio first and not wait until afterwards.  I've learned my lesson and I'm paying for it now. Back to being Mrs Sensible!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear that is a shame.  I would settle for limp free walking at the moment. I went back to work today and didn't think I had overdone it but combination of ugg boots and more walking have left me with a stiff fat foot and pain across the top.  

Feeling frustrated. 😒

• Posted

Very sorry to hear that. I have had both my feet done and I'm really swollen and stiff after 7 weeks. I don't know how all the people manage to go shooping etc after 2 weeks and are back at work soon after. I'm really not a whinger but I would be aching all over if I was back at work now. I can walk normal if I walk very slowly but any speed and I turn into Quasimodo.
    • Posted

I'm limping again after my jogging. It's a long and frustrating recovery, isn't it? Hope you get a chance to put your feet up!
    • Posted

I can just picture it! I only had one foot done and can't imagine what two must be like. I think you've just got to do things at your own pace and not compare yourself to others. The ops may sound the same or similar but each case (or do I mean foot?) is so different. Hope you recover well.
    • Posted

i had one bunion worse than the  other. the foot that required less correction is way ahead of the the other in terms of stiffness and swelling. So your right about each case being different.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for telling us about that. it is the kind of thing that would happen to me as I am very keen on sport so I'm grateful to you for the warning. It's always hard to recover from an injury as you can't tell exactly where the fine line is between too little and too much exercise until you cross it and it is indeed a shame it happened after just a little jog after so many months! I hope your aggravated nerve calms down soon and your recovery goes well again now!
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that and i hope you starts to fell better soon, I think what helped me was I had to go back to work after 3 months, 10 hour shifts in steel can boots, it starts hurting about 5 hours into a shift but by doing so it become alittle stronger each week. But in the last 2 weeks I have started feeling pain in my knee cap not from runnning more for work its abit of a worry, had a xray today think it could arthritis have to wait for results.
    • Posted

Gordon I return to work tommorow also steal toe caps 2 lots of bilateral surgery In 7 months. I now have knee pain think it's from the altered gait.

How are you getting on now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.