Running with FS

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Are there any runners with FS? I’ve recently started running on a treadmill and within two weeks I’m experiencing shooting pains and burning in my FS arm.

Thanks Rachel 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

That must be painful, how long have you had FS?

I am not athlete, runner or any sort, but I am fairly active and exercise regularly.... it's been 1.5 years since my initial symptoms..I am close to 95 percent recovered, but some movements , and sleeping gestures are still painful...

Even after long hiking cause that arm joint to close up and painful when I try to raise arm real high. So I am fairly certain FS is not only affecting arm joint, also has something to do with spine and neck..

I try to hang my arms on bar, we don't have gym bar at home, so I try to stretch my arms on closet cloth hanging rack, ever time my arm feels tight. And that's pretty a few days a day, and it really helps to relief tightness...

I apologized for go on and on, but to answer your question, yes, I experience shooting sharp pain on many occasions during my recovery.. hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Thanks so much for this it’s good to know it’s not just me with these niggles.

Rachel 

• Posted

People seems to experience FS differently but I had a lot of pain early on even when riding in a car and it was bumpy. And now when my pain comes and goes it hurts to walk sometimes because of the motions
  • Posted

Hello, Yes I am a runner and I had (still have) frozen shoulder (BOTH shoulders by the way) . In the painful stage it was impossible to run. I had to stop running. PT made it worse. The only thing that helped was Cortisone injection under x-ray. It at least took the inflammation down, which stopped the pain. I am still frozen but not in pain anymore. It has been 2 years. I feel like now at least I can use PT bands and increase my ROM
  • Posted

I think maintaining a routine that keeps our legs strong is a very good idea through the duration of this seemingly never-ending ordeal, but like the rest of you guys, running is simply out of the question. 

I have two frozen shoulders and that amount of arm swinging will only lead to days worth of nagging pain and mental misery. It makes me even more of a shut-in than this disease is already trying to turn me into.

I walk regularly. I've been going to beach regularly too, and swimming in the ocean, if only to kick my legs about. I was nervous about swimming without the use of either shoulder, but I can do it, even on red flag days. Getting a mega shot of vitamin D from the sun on a regular basis can't really hurt either. 

I'm not waiting around for this stupid disease to clear before living my life again, and the rest of you guys shouldn't either, but I'm not going to do things I know will only make me more miserable at night, and that, unfortunately, is running. I love running, and it's a shame I can't do it right now, but there are other ways to break a sweat and keep the legs moving, and we should definitely be doing them. 

Your shoulders will tell you pretty quickly if the activity you're doing is a bad idea. Just listen to what they're saying and back off.

Here's hoping this miserable chapter of my life ends sooner rather than later. June was the two year mark for my left frozen shoulder. I'm 7.5 months into my right frozen shoulder. One day at a time until it's over. 

• Posted

I'm a runner and had FS in both shoulders.  After getting hydrodilation done on the second shoulder I can run again.  I couldn't at the peak of the painful stage.  I'm 5 years in with the first shoulder and mostly recovered, but I actually find I have to keep running to keep it loose.  Otherwise it stiffens up a bit and hurts. 

• Posted

I have had two frozen shoulders since March 2018. I started running 3 times a week from June and doing a 10km Sept. 2nd. Up to 40min tues and thurs with up to 50min on saturdays(yesterday). Neck and shoulders get bit stiff and sore but no shooting pains. Bit of pain in arms/ elbows sometimes towards the end. Dont swing my arms much and imagine my posture not great because of restricted shoulders which probably contributes to some neck pain. My mid week runs are thursday night 6.30pm at a local sports field with lights. Good to run on grass to lesson load on shoulders and plenty going on to look at. One of my sons has football training so I have to drive there anyway. I stopped running before and straight after I was diagnosed as my shoulders were a bit too sore. So if it is too sore maybe give it a month or so to see if it settles down. Up until a few weeks ago I was taking medication to help me sleep but have found I can now sleep without it. My right arm is not as sore as my left and I can now lie on it to sleep. Both shoulders ache in the morning but hopefully they will come right with time. Good luck with your recovery and I hope you are back running soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.