running with gallstones

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this group after being diagnosed with gallstones last Friday.  I was a bit gutted but at least I know what is causing the pain and its not indigestion like the Doctor was telling me.

Anyway,  I am currently training for a half marathon and its now only 4 weeks away, the last few long runs I have experienced pain in the gallbladder area.

Does anyone here run whilst having gallstones, do you experience pain whilst running, should I stop running and forget about my half, so many questions, sorry ?

Caroline x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have a low functioning gallbladder (21%) in November. Mine seems to be getting better however I know that it’s gonna be a cat and mouse game until I get it out. 

It doesn’t really bother me most of the time, however I bike and I’ve noticed when I’m really pushing hard sometimes I’ll get some sharp pain in my gallbladder area. 

• Posted

Yes mine seems to be when I am pushing on a bit. I am going to slow down my pace and see if it makes a difference. I have trained so hard tbrough all of the rubbish weather and will be gutted to miss it but know I need to be sensible. Thank you
    • Posted

Definitely would hate for you to miss it!

I haven’t seen much information saying that exercise makes the pain worse, but I know it does. 

• Edited

Because you are basically very healthy it would be an extremely  good idea to fully research ursodioxycholic acid dissolution of gall stones if they are cholesterol based because that treatment will dissolve cholesterlol

gall stones. This is a scientific clinical fact..........  I did it! I still have my gall bladder with no symptoms.

Finding a GP who will prescribe the tablets is quite another matter. A liver function test is required before and during the treatment which might last 6 months or less or more. You seem to be a first class candidate as I was for that very effective way of getting rid of those stones in a quite good gall bladder.

• Edited

How are you doing now on Ursodiol? I was finally able to get my dr to let me try it (I refused surgery). At the 3 1/2 month mark, ALL of my symptoms are gone! I also haven't had a single gallbladder attack since. I love it! I'm going next month to have another ultrasound to see if they're shrinking.

• Posted

please keep us posted. Are there side effects? How will will u have to take the meds? I read u have to take for 2 yrs. ive asked a few doctors they tell me there are no drugs. its best remove it. i heard on a podcast a nuturtionist coach had hers removed and she regret it.

• Posted

hi caroline, i have had this before playing football and recently when running. the only way i can describe it is a stitch that isnt a stitch with pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.