Ruptured Achilles 4 weeks ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been reading everyones comments and decided to post. Ruptured mine 4 weeks ago had surgery and was in a splint for 4 weeks and was just put into a walking boot with 4 wedges yesterday and was told i can fwb. I got home and started with two crutches felt fine then went to one felt fine and then walked with none. Today walked easily without any crutches but sometimes use one just for support when walking far. Was told to take a wedge out in a couple days and then another wedge before i see the doc in 2 weeks. I feel like my athletic background played a major part in walking fast (29year old male) would love to hear feedback thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Walking fast in the boot i meant 
  • Posted

hi Mj20,

Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear from different recuperation stories and very helpful. I'm 69 non surgical and happy to not have surgery at my age. Like you Ive been fairly active so hoping that will help recovery. Im nearly at 3 weeks since accident, full rupture and been in a boot for nearly 2 weeks with  the 4 wedges.

I take one wedge out in 10 days time, followed by 2nd wedge a week later, then see the doc again at the end of the 6th week. This removing wedges starting from end of week 4 in boot seems to be used a lot.

I'm happy re my progress, most of the swelling and bruising have gone and I am quite mobile on crutches outside for 200 mtrs and can walk inside without crutches but still use one most of the time. The 'even-up' shoe is a great help. I stuck a flip-flop sole onto a old trainer shoe which evens me up with the boot. I didn't want to pay £40 for a bought one.

I find that when I walk, I don't fully roll the injured foot through, because at this stage I am wary of pulling on the healing tendon too much. Are you rolling through at the moment and how far do you typically walk every day?

I knew my calf would shrivel away but its still a shock to see it so thin.

Good luck going forward and keep us updated

• Posted

I walk heel first then move basically like i would with shoes on  and yes my calve has shrunk and is like jello now but walking with the boot will help gain alittle mass back i hope. My range of motion is def better since walking in the boot when i do my rom stretches
    • Posted

thanks for that, I will wait until end of 4 weeks before  rolling through onto the ball of my foot, just to be on the caustious site. My consultant wants me to wait until I see him in another 3 odd weeks before doing physio but in the morning when I take my boot off for an hours fresh air and relief from the boot

I do circles and pull gently up and down  with my foot.

• Posted

Sounds like both you and breeze61 are both healing well. I am a 64 yr old woman. I ruptured my Achilles Mar 26 2017. So over a year ago. Being younger mj20, I think you will heal quicker than either Breeze61 or myself. However, this is one injury where the biggest lesson is patience. I was advised I would get back to 90-05% of former self, but will not notice the difference between then and now. And I find that to be the case for my day to day living. I used to be one of those 10,000 steps a day walkers for my main exercise and I am back at that now. I still have stiffness in the area, but I still do stretches, mainly in the morning. But also if I am sitting around I still lift my foot and do my ROMs. I was also advised that it takes about a year to be 'normal' again. And for me that was also true. The action that took the longest to get back for me was to raise up on my toes on my injured foot. But I can do that now as well. I took me over a year to get my confidence back that I can run up and down the stairs like I used to and walk on rocky beaches or log covered trails. But I can now so I am happy.  Good luck to you both.

• Posted

Sandy,

Thanks for your story and the patience reminder. Patience is something that I dont do well but know too well that tendons take an age to heal as I used to get tendonitus when I used to run 10kms. The time at start of healing passes so slowly but feel better Im nearly approaching end of week 3, so only 48 weeks to go for full recovery. I'm hoping to be able to drive and bumble about be end of 3 months and at 6 months be able to do leisurely walks of say 3 miles on the flat. I hope Im not being too ambitious.

I had a hip replacement last December which has been very successful on the same leg and that was a doddle to recuperate from compared to this rupture.

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

I just wondered what treatment plan you followed and Op or non op?

• Posted

I was not given an option. Live on Westcoast BC in Canada - Dr. felt surgery was invasive and as both options had basically the same outcome in the same period, was put into a boot. Non WB for a few weeks, then every 2nd week one of 4 heel wedges removed. When last one removed, I experienced a lot of heel pain. Ended up with wedge back in boot for a further 2 weeks. Still a fair amount of pain in heel when walking. Kept boot on for 8 weeks. I was fortunate to have physio available under my private health plan, so took full advantage. Had needle therapy on heel and tendon sometime in 3rd or 4th month, where needles were given different levels of electrical pulses/shocks. Normally only 2-4 of those sessions needed. I had eight, but after the 8th my pain was gone and so rest of therapy went very smoothly.
    • Posted

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your treatment plan and as you say, patience is the key and expect a few knock backs along the way. I was walking in a shop today and didn't see a 1 inch rise in the floor and felt a bad pull on the tendon as I went over it. It's ok, two hours later but one has to be careful in the first few weeks. THankfully the boot does protect the foot well.

No chance of needle therapy with the NHS but they still do most things well apart from the wait.

Good luck going forward and thanks for your help.

• Posted

Yes im being patient and just following my doctors orders. Luckily its my left foot so i can drive and get around. Im going to take a wedge out tonight and be down to 3 so hopefully that feels good
    • Posted

I'm looking forward to that moment in 10 days and counting.

• Posted

They Doc said FWB after 4 weeks? Isn’t that too early, shouldn’t you wait 6 weeks? 
    • Posted

Lur060

It depends on your doctor, but I can see the logic of FWB earlier, as long as the foot is in a boot and wedged, because it will help strengthen all the supporting muscles in the foot so that will help one when the boot is eventually taken off.

It's a very complex repair and Im not knowledgeable but from what I've read Early,graded, weight bearing, after the first 2 weeks ,seems to be gaining more support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.