Ruptured Achilles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else had similar experiances?.

I ruptured my Achilles on the 13 July 2016.Went straight to A&E and was diagnosed by a Dr simply by perfoming a Thompsen test.The nurse put a cast on gave me painkillers and said to see a Orthopedic in a weeks time.Unsure if it is Full or partial rupture.

Last week 20 July 2016 week 2 visit to the Orthopedic.I walked into his office sat down he asked what had happened, I told him how i injured myself,"Jumping landing than pop".His reply usual story,seen it many of times.He than tells me to go find a nurse to have another cast put on.I said i still have questions unanswered,he said we will talk more when i see you in the cast room. Well to tell you the truth that never happened. Are most Orthopedics like this,do they give much advise or options?.You end up feeling like just another number in there system.He has told the nurse non surgical route is best for me.Im p*ssed off beacause I'm very active and haven't had any options or PROPER advise presented to me about this tendon.I'm glad ive found this site i might get more info here.

So today 27 July 2016  I'm at week 3.I can wiggle my toes the sensation is a bit weird under my foot feels tingley,and the calve muscle has a few spasms now and then.Has anyone experienced this before?. I can't wait to walk again without crutches,hold or carry something in my hand or even playing sports again,yes i know it will be sometime before that happens. Just remembering little steps make great progress.

Hoping everyone else is recoveing well!.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello jess30017. I am 33yrs, I ruptured my right Achilles about 4 months ago during a basketball game. I thought it was a common sprain so I didn’t seek any medical attention. The first 2 weeks, It hurt much especially when walking/standing (but I can tolerate the pain) and I can’t support my weight with my right foot, also has swelling on my ankles. A month later, my foot was still hurting and swelling, by then I knew it was not a sprain. I researched about ruptured Achilles Tendon, all the symptoms show that I had a partial ruptured Achilles (I assume; if it was complete rupture, I would surely can’t stand). I didn’t undergo any medical checkup or rehabilitation, didn’t take any medication. I just researched on the massage techniques and exercise routines for my foot, had to do it every day, even during break times at work. I applied pain relieving ointment on my foot to relieve the pain (salonpas would be good too).

I think my Achilles is healing (4 months later). Although I can’t lift my body only with my right foot (Tiptoe); I can do my chores normally, can carry some weight. I walk with slight limping and some imbalances, but can walk well even on long distances without feeling any major pain. I am a welder and my condition had affected my performance at work. I still do my routine foot exercise and apply ointment relievers.

I am not sure if I will recover normally since I never had any medical treatment/advice. I simply don’t have enough savings to support any medical expense. I hope my case would somehow help other individuals with similar situation. But it would be best if you seek medical attention immediately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.