Ruptured Achilles

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys, I ruptured my Achilles just over 2 weeks ago playing football and have been in cast since with the aid of 2 crutches, they are very uncomfortable and making my shoulders and back very sore.

Am from the UK and wasn't offered surgery just straight into cast.

I am quite an independent guy and always out and with my boys, this has really knocked me for 6 and I think am close to depressing.

Can anyone advise what they do to keep their minds off things?

Thanks Pete

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also ruptured my left foot the 28th of July has surgery the 29th. It can be so depressing and if one more person says to me sure enjoy having the rest and not having to work for a couple of weeks. I'll go mad. Peter is your foot still swelling in the boot. I'm getting mine Thursday week can't wait another step towards full recovery. I'm going to hire a knee scooter for getting around

• Posted

Hi Sunflower35, once the cast was cut opened and saw my foot for the first time since n 4 weeks, I couldn't recognise it because of the swelling but I was assure the swelling will go down gradually and should be walking with one crutch within 2 weeks.

Please let me know how you get on with the boot. Am too scared to put weight on the leg just in case a re-ruptured. It's all in my head I guess but I really don't want to go back to 4 weeks ago.

• Posted

I seen my foot last week to get stitches removed thank God they had heeled OK that was my real worry. This swelling when you stand up on crutches then it's back to the chair to elavate it. It's driving me nuts. Good luck with your recovery I'm so jealous that your in your boot. How many heel risers have you

• Posted

They've given 3 heel risers and I need to be removing them every 2 weeks, so I should be completely flat in 6 weeks time, then physiotherapy. I can't wait to be honest.

• Posted

That's brilliant Peter can you feel the stretch when you went into the boot. I was in a cast after surgery then another cast just Thursday gone and the changed the angle of my foot slightly could feel the stretch the next day but has settled. I love hearing people's progress. I'm amazed how different doctors treat this injury. A girl I know us two weeks ahead of me and opted to not has surgery and she has to stay in cast for 7weeks in total

• Posted

Yeah I could definitely feel the stretch.

I didn't go for surgery either and I was only in cast for 3 weeks and 4 days. 7 weeks in cast will drive me crazy. At least now I can actually scratch my leg lol.

Let me know when you get your boot in.

• Posted

Will so Peter wishing the next week and half away so u can get to that stage
    • Posted

I am 4 weeks today and I didn't have surgery either and I went straight in moon boot ( no cast) I have my first appointment tomorrow to see ortho since injury happened so I will be keen to see what and how he says my progress is. I haven't had a lot of swelling but I did feel the blood rush that everyone talks about when resting and then having to put foot down in the first week or soon.

I take the boot off when I am resting and to sleep and I have had no problems. ( only about the last week and a half I have taken off)

I certainly do feel this time I am a lot more confident in my recovery compared to last time ( other leg 5 years ago)

I also have one of these vaco ped moon boot which is hinged so no need for wedges to be placed inside boot, can just put the little key in the back of boot and move down the slots for different degrees. Hope that make sense lol

I enjoy reading everyone progress and good luck to all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.