Ruptured Achilles: One Year Ago Today!

Posted , 3 users are following.

One year ago today I fully ruptured my Achilles Tendon while playing volleyball.  It was totally unexpected but one I heard that popping sound I knew I was in trouble.  The conservative method was chosen which at this point I believe I am thankful for although sometimes I still question where would I be now if I did have the surgery.  

I was in a splint for one week, followed by a cast for three weeks and finally I was put in "the boot" with five arches that were gradually taken out every couple of weeks.  Four months later I was back in a running shoe and starting physio. Eventually I felt like I had my walk back. I am still going to physio once a week but that is because I want to make sure I will be able to play volleyball next season.  I'm hoping to be able to wear sandals again this summer because I love my sandals. Going up on my tippy toe is still a challenge as well as coming down the stairs but I do know I have come a long way!  Being an active person and not being able to be active was the toughest part of this adventure along with the mental game that comes along with it.  Needing to reach out to others is not something I was use to but it sure was something that I needed.

There were a number of times that this blog helped me through some really low times and it reminded me that I was not alone. So in closing I want to thank everyone in this blog for your comments whether they were directed to me or someone they helped!  Not that I would ever wish this on anyone but for those of you just starting out know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you too will get there. Hang in there!!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Totally with you on this one! I'm 16 month down the line with a very similar sequence of events! Its the muscle loss thats shocked me, and is the reason for my care going down stairs and lack of tippy toe ability.. and more importantly has caused an odd gait when walking that leads to the wrong muscles being used and getting painful. Especially both ham strings being tight. Been back to the physio for a bit more encouragement, but still find it unnatural doing exercises 3 times a day like I should. Not been helped by a series of colds since Christmas either.. roll on summer and some good walks!!!!!
    • Posted

The lack of a calf muscle is definitely the culprit in making stairs and tippy toes a challenge!! I use to love my calf muscles! Haven't had much trouble with my hamstring. I find the most pain is usually around the ankle on the sides. Exercises at home has been a challenge but I can tell when I haven't done them. Bring on some warmer weather so there is more motivation to get out there!
    • Posted

I'm still quite lop sided so my friend tells me; think I'll get her to take a photo. TOTALLY agree with the hopes for weather and to finally shke off the colds I've been having since xmas :-(
  • Posted

Hi bec

Good to hear your nonnoperative recovery has gone well. Im just at weeknthree and going intona boot tomoz. Like yourself im really active and struggling wi the out being able to just go for a walk.

What stage were you walking and running if yet?

All the best

• Posted

Ignore my grammar just changed to a samsung!!
    • Posted

Not being able to get up and go was such a huge bummer. Especially when the nice weather arrived and my coworkers started a walking group!

Once I was in the boot I gradually moved down to one crutch then a cane. It was a lot easier to get around with the boot but still not much fun. I was back into running shoes three and a half to four months in. Then it took some time to feel like I was actually walking normally. Still end up with a limp after sitting for a while or being on it too long. Haven't ventured into running yet. But did do a slight job yesterday when pulling a kid in a wagon who wanted to go faster! Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.