Ruptured achilles playing tennis, can i do non-surgical recovery?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was playing tennis, stepped far forward and did a quick stop with my left foot. I think i heard a pop and it felt like someone kicked my ankle. I had moderate pain for a day or so then it felt better. I limped around for a few days then i did some research and found out it is probably a ruptured achilles tendon.

Even though I had swelling, i was feeling better each day, can move my foot and toes around in all directions, was able to press down with the top of my foot against someone's hand almost if nothing was wrong (i could only slightly stand up on my tip toes but that was getting better each day as well).

I went to see a podiatrist, he squeezed my calf and there didn't seem to be any movement. He said it is most likely a complete rupture and recommended surgery at my age (38). I have no other health issues and don't play sports often but do occasionally play tennis and golf.

He put me in a boot with wedges in the back of it to keep my toes angled down, and set me up for an mri which i had a few days ago. From the research i've done it seems that recent studies say non-surgical recovery is about as good as surgical. I'm really trying to avoid surgery if i can, on my mri it looks like the achilles is still together? any advice is appreciated!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.