Ruptured achilles tendon 22/5/15

Posted , 11 users are following.

Last Friday I ruptured my achilles tendon doing wii fit jogging. On Saturday I went to a&e and was fitted with a cast and given crutches.

I got a phone call from the hospital on Monday asking me to go see the orthopaedic surgeon next Tuesday. I'm in a significant amount of pain and I'm not sure what do expect from my appointment.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting to see all the different treaments. I completely ruptured my Achilles in January. Stood on my tiptoes! Had an Ultrasound scan to confirm, and I was in cast for 14 weeks. I was in absolute agony when it happened for the first month, and the pain has been pretty constant throughout. I have been out of cast for 2 months now, and am able to do all tasks set by physio. My problem is i am still in considerable pain. Requiring painkillers every day. and some days still requiring my crutches. I havent as yet spoken with anyone who has had as much pain throughout as I seem to have. I do ( normally) have a good pain threshold. The Consultant has now said I am looking at at least a year for recovery, and its unusual to still have such a degree of pain. Anyone else still suffering?

• Posted

Well I'm now 3 week since I was told I ruptured mine, they have now started to increase to motion in my boot to 20% and next Friday down to 10% with FWB, went down the non surgical route and haven't experienced any pain once. In fact I'm walking ok now with full flex movement throughout the boot. 
  • Posted

Hey folks. I tore mine 15 days ago. Had surgery on monday. Nice to read some of the progress stories here (the successful ones). I'm not in any pain with my AT. If i am stood up for more than 10-15 mins i can feel the blood swell my leg up. Been told two weeks in a cast, then to move foot angle and cast again for another two weeks. I know my surgeon personally so he is helping a lot.
    • Posted

Hi Jame, now into my 10th week, been using boot for 4 but to be quite honest  rarely use the boot now except when going out for shopping, I made sure that I did calf muscle contractions regularly and walked without crutches from week 4, I had small ulcer caused by friction from the first cast at the edge of the scar so  I had my cast changed weekly to change the dressing, i have been to Physio for two weeks and she told me one cause of the swelling was the calf muscle being atrophied, apparently it plays a large role in pumping blood and lymph fluid back up the body, it is the accumulation of lymph which causes the feet and ankles to swell. the advice she gave me was walk around the house at first in bare feet but listen to your body, if it hurts stop, keep your foot elevated when resting and take time to execise your calf muscle, use a clingy band to push your toes against keep your ankles mobile. I can now walk easily without support and even go up and down stairs relatively easily and even manage a couple of yards toe walking although that is still uncomfortable but not painful.

best of luck with your progress

everyones is different

Brian

• Posted

In need of some advice please. I ruptured my Archilles 7 days ago. Went straight to AnE and the doctor did a Thompson test and a simple diagnosis was made , the nurse put a cast on toes facing in a down ward position and told me that I will meet with the Orthopedic in a weeks time. Today I went in to see the Orthopedic, the cast is removed he does a quick examination by feeling the back of my heel and archilles and says I think you would be good to have non surgery. The Orthopedic says to the nurse put a cast on, I will do next check up in 3 weeks time . I'm starting to question this guy "how do you know I don't need surgery considering I haven't had a scan or x-ray" his reply I've been doing this job long enough. Grr... not a good enough answer for me.

What makes it worse no privacy in this hospital, patient next to me had a free view in some way it wasn't that bad she was in the same boat with her archilles. (AWW GAMMON!)

Seems like your just another number in their system and they can't wait to see your behind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.