Ruptured achillies - can i fly after 5 weeks?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I ruptured my achillies three weeks ago, such a pain! I was advised that it was the same result regarding recovering for operative or non-operative so chose the non-operative approach. I'm fibreglass now and will change to a cam book next week. It was still pretty swollen a week ago. 

I've got a trip planned (short 2 hour flight) at the end of Feb and was wondering if it was wise to fly or not? I can't seem to find any info on this and don't see my specialist till next week. any help appreicated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi

    I ruptured mine on 4th October and went for conservative, everything was going ok until week 10 when I re-ruptured. Not too sure why it happened and the doctors were suprised. Please be careful between week 10-12 as thats when you are most vulnerbale. Even though it feels strong, its still healing itself. After re-rupture I had surgery and now in week 8 of healing.

    Personally, I wouldn't go on the trip and risk it, I would make getting better and healing a priority. All it takes is one slip and it could go again, especially with the conservative treatment. I had planned to go to New York on 3rd December and my doctor told me not to go (although it was a city break which would of required a lot of walking etc...)

    Good luck with the recovery, the first few weeks are the worst but once you are in the boot and you can start taking the notches down then it goes quickly.

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi I had the op 12 weeks ago and yesterday re ruptured mine gettin off the couch the Physio said I was well ahead with my rehab and said start pushin and stretching a bit more but now I find myself in a bad way feels like 12 weeks waist of time what did they say about your re rupture is it the same time scale did they secure it more any info would be great I done see the doctor for another 10 days which am not happy about so any info would me great
      Report
    • Posted

      Hello mate

      Sorry to hear the news, can't believe how easily it re-ruptured, especially after having surgery. I know it feels awful now and there is a long road ahead but you will get there. I re-ruptured after 10 weeks but had conservative treatment initially, just don't think it had healed properly. I had surgery after the re-rupture and now in week 17, but I've taken it slow and been very cautious, especially as I had already re-ruptured.

      It will been the same treatment as before I guess. Another operation and then a cast and a boot etc....

      Hope it all goes well and you recover quickly. It's a horrible injury to have

      Good luck

      Report
  • Posted

    Hi,

    I am into week 11 of fully rupturing my achiclles.  Had the conservative treatment and been one week out of the boot.  Just started driving this week with doctoring okaying it.  ( right foot).  I am not sure what a cam book is, bit I presume it is a boot you can take off to wash.  

    I am replying as whilst I had a boot, as I sweated so much, the doctor okayed me to take the boot off, provided I put the foot up and held the foot to the same angle as in the boot.  You just have to be careful you do not accidently flex the foot.  Maybe the airline can you put you somewhere where the foot can be put up.  

    Good luck

    Laurence

    Report
  • Posted

    There seems to be huge differences in treatment and experiences from what I can see in this forum! I am 7 weeks in since my complete rupture, I had a gap of 2.2 cms when I had an ultrasound which was 6 weeks ago. I was in a boot after a week and NWB initially and supposed to be PWB for another 3 weeks but am walking around FWB and completely pain free in the boot. I may get told off when I go back to get the penultimate wedge out next Tuesday but they also told me "if it doesn't hurt then it isn't doing any harm". I appreciate this is a dangerous situation but I have only progressed very carefully and have listened to my body and feel like I'm ahead of where I thought I would be. Anyway, I digress, I would have no hesitation going on a trip now as long as it didn't involve having to move around too much. If it had been 2 weeks ago, at 5 weeks then it would have been more of a decision. I would say if you have doubts and need to make a decision then play safe and don't go. I had to cancel a trip when I did mine but that was due to happen after 1 week so very different!! I certainly wouldn't encorage anyone to do as I have done necessarily but do think that listening to your own body and not to take "big jumps" in what you are doing is fairly sound advice.
    Report
  • Posted

    My doctors advised to take blood thinning drugs a day before and on the day of the flight as there can be a risk of deep vien thrombosis (DVT) when flying soon after achilles injury due to swelling and lack of calf muscle activity to help pump the blood back up the body. I flew 8 weeks after with blood thinning drugs. People in a similar position must have flown without drugs, but I wanted to eliminate the risk. https://patient.info/health/preventing-dvt-when-you-travel

    Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up