Ruptured anyurism into stomach with bleeding out.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My father was found dead in his apartment. He appeared to have vomited blood and/or bled out through his mouth. The autopsy showed cause of death as "heart failure." He lived in a very non-suburban area.

Is it possible he had an abdominal aeortic anyurism that burst through the wall of his stomach causing fatal blood loss through his mouth?

This has been tormenting me since his passing. I cannot believe that a "normal" cardiac event would have caused him to lose so much blood.

I am sincerely grateful for any help you can be.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but it does not sound like heart failure to me either.  My husband recently had surgery for an aortic aneurysm.  It had not ruptured but I have done a lot of reading because I was wondering what would have happened if it had ruptured.  You can find information about what happens when one ruptures if you search on the Internet.  It sounds to me like this could have been what happened to your dad because of all the blood.  I don't think that would happen from a heart attack, but like I said, I'm not a doctor.

• Posted

Thanks, Annette. I'm not a doctor either, but it's unlike any cardiac event I've ever heard of. My impression was that they saw an elderly man, saw he had heart issues and didn't take it further. I've looked into the hemorrhaging that happens when one bursts, but the information seems to address internal bleeding. I was wondering if bleeding into the stomach is even possible with the aeorta. It's been perplexing. I hope you're husband's doing well!

• Posted

Thank you he is.  I heard someone say that the husband of a friend of hers had an aneurysm to rupture.  The wife was with him at the time and she told her how awful it was and there was lots of blood some had just always kind of thought that the blood woul have to come out somewhere.  I'm really sorry about your father.  Everything I've read says it is just about impossible to save someone from the rupture unless they can get to an emergency room within a very short time.  My dad was 92 and he had the same surgery my husband did, and survived the surgery only to get pneumonia and die several days later.  It is all just sad.  But I agree with you. Mint was not a normal heart attack. 

• Posted

A friend who was a policeman once told me that one of the most common causes of death of middle aged/elderly men found on their own was a burst amuerysm but he did not mention it being a bloody scene.
    • Posted

I don't know.  Just find out how big yours is and keep check on it.  It can be fixed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.