Ruptured Baker's Cyst

Posted , 14 users are following.

After leg workouts the back of my knee occasionally felt \"puffy\". Recently my knee and calf were sore for a few days, then I woke up with severe calf pain and swelling of the calf and foot. I could barely walk and was afraid I had a blood clot. The Dr. sent me for an ultrasound of my leg ASAP and I was diagnosed with a ruptured Baker's Cyst. That was 3 days ago and I am still in quite a bit of pain in my calf. The swelling in my foot is better, but the pain is still pretty bad. I am taking anti-inflammitories and using ice and hope to be pain-free soon.

4 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I suffered from the same thing about 4 years ago and I was off work for nearly 3 months. I have never experienced pain like it. Like you, I was on strong painkillers and anti inflamatories and every time I get a twinge in that leg I wonder if it's a re-occurence. You have my sympathy.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Bakers cyst a couple of weeks ago. I was badly bashed and bruised in an accident on a bus 6 months ago and developed a large haematoma just below my knee which still hasn't quite gone. Instead of getting better, over the last few months the pain got worse. Burning down the outside of my leg from just above my knee down to my foot and the inside if my knee. The doctor diagnosed neuropathy and treated with 20 mg of amitriptyline a day which helped a lot. Then a.month ago I started to get an aching part way through each day all.around my knee. A week or so later I got sharp pain in my calf and down into my heel every time I put my foot down. Back to the doc who said my calf was tight and very solid and sent me for a scan to check for DVT which was clear. A week later I stepped backward in the hall onto my affected leg to let my partner passed and felt something 'snap' in the back of my knee. The pain was unbelievable. Back again to the doctor who diagnosed the cyst. I am still working, I work in the community and it involves a lot of walking but I don't get proper sick pay, just SSP so I am on huge amounts of pain relief and probably too many Ibuprofen to get through each day. Spending all days off just sitting with my leg up, unless at the GP surgery. I am using ice and coolpacks when I can but of course, I can't afford to rest properly and it is worsening.
  • Posted

I had a suspected DVT whilst on holiday in Lanzarote. Fortunately the diagnosis turned out to be a ruptured Bakers Cyst, which was confirmed by my own Hospital on my return to the UK. That was 10 days ago, and I am still unable to place any weight on my leg as the calf remains hard and swollen. Anyone have any idea on how long it will be before I see an improvement?
    • Posted

A  few weeks ago I went through 3 weeks!

of the same awful pain cause I couldn't get in to see my orthopedic surgeon for that 3 weeks cause he was booked up ! which is unusual .  Finally !! I saw him and got a cortisteroid shot and my pain was gone in 90 minutes! Prior to all this though I went to the ER cause of the pain and they did the blood clot test and I had no clots but they found I had a ruptured Bakers cyst. 

It was awful! I lost sleep over it on 2 different nights cause I had to keep bending my knee, then straightening my knee! To keep comfortable cause it hurt either way! Very frustrating . 

So I greatly empathize with you! I'd have to lean on something standing in the check out line at Walmart cause it hurt to straighten my leg but walking too much hurt it too. To me it was one of the most annoying ! Conditions I've ever experienced and painful!

Anyway it about a month later and it's ok but for about a week now that knee looks a little swollen and I do feel that kind of slight version of that nagging pain behind my knee so I hope nothing's wrong but mine occurred cause I have moderate arthritis in both knees but the doctor said I don't see you needing knee replacement for another 15 years - the arthritis isn't too bad. So my recent swelling on knee might just be I need to exercise a little more.

My point is the guess the cortisteroid did wonders! Only one shot! For the pain! He said I didn't have much fluid in my leg after it ruptured which was good . 

So I'd kind of recommend talk to your orthopedic doctor if you have one cause he or her may get you out of pain! Much faster!  You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there - it does! Get better . I was miserable for 3 weeks but it did ! Get resolved.  A Bakers cyst is a painful condition but I'm glad it can be managed . 

Take care! 

• Posted

I have had a lot of swelling in my right lower leg and foot.  After two ultra sound test it was stated as a ruptered baker's cyst.  After reading up on it, I felt the feeling that water was running down my leg but, when I felt it was dry.  It was the fluid running down my calf under the skin.  I have had some pain,not like others have described, but pain in walking.  My big issue is the swelling.  Will it ever go away?????   I need two different size shoes.  one that fits my left foot and one two sizes larger for my right foot.

Any advice on getting the swelling down.

• Posted

Hi Deborah. When was the Baker's Cyst diagnosed?

Mine happened in Lanzarote on the 17th of February. My ankle and foot are now back to normal size, but the calf is only just starting to soften, so I'm hoping this will lead to a reduction in the swelling

• Posted

Hello - i have also had a ruptured bakers cyst - and am still battling with pains in my knee , shin bone & heel - it has bee 6 weeks & it is not much better - Ibuphen was taken & Transact patches - with little relief - any idea how long before pain free ?

• Posted

Please, please, go to the GP and get them to refer you to a rheumatologist or orthopaedic surgeon. I've had 7 of them across both knees, and its just a matter of getting an appointment to get it drained and a steroid injected, then it's back to normal in a couple of days. Draining isn't pleasant but very quick, you don't have to be in that much pain!

• Posted

How long did the pain last? I just went yesterday because the pain was so bad and they said it could last months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.