Ruptured ear drum, what should I do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been suffering with a painful ear and throat infection for about 4 days now on my right side. I was due to pick up a prescription for antibiotics yesterday. However, on the night yesterday, about 3 am, I woke up to quite severe pain, to my surprise, in my left ear. I can not hear anything out of it and it's very painful, I couldn't sleep at all that night and in the day I ended up going to an urgent care centre, where they said I have ruptured my ear drum due to an infection in my left ear (I felt no signs of an infection in there which is still a mystery to me how it got to be so bad to rupture my ear drum). I have been prescribed 500mg amoxicillin to be taken for 5 days, 3 a day. It is leaking a lot of liquid which is to be expected, however, it is extremely painful and the pain seems to not be getting any better at all. Is such a high level of pain to be expected? I'm taking both ibuprofen or paracetamol ever 4 hours but I genuinely don't see any difference in the level of pain, to the point now I can just about get 4 hours of sleep a night from exhaustion. Is this normal? If not what steps should I take? Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.