Ruq pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,, i just wondered if anyone could shed any light on what may be going on. Ive had this niggling pain in my right side half way up the ribs for a few weeks on and off then 9 days ago it was quite severe. I was admitted to hospital where they said it was gallstones, an ultrasound showed nothing. I came home after one night. My chest xray was clear. The camera into my stomach showed gastritis, ( inflammation of the lining of my stomach). Gp thinks its inflammation of the intercostal muscles but it doesn't hurt when i move, when i eat i get severe spasms in the gallbladder area. I went back to the drs again 2 days ago he said its not muscular its def gallbladder and arranged a ct scan for 4th july. This morning i was back at the hospital cos of pain. The doctor there thinks its definately gallbladder but there isnt anything they can do until i have my scan. She gave me antibiotics incase its infected and im on 4 omeprazole a day. Im in pain all the time. Any ideas?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi! You should ask for a HIDA scan, it will show the % that your Gallbladder is functioning , sometimes there is no stones but the EF could be too low or too high, good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

Hi Clare

If stones are small they don't always show up on ultrasound. Some are like sand. MRI or CT is better for this.

I've experience intercostal issues and it's like cramp - you can't keep still until it passes.

Your symptoms sound very much like gallstones or a gallbladder that isn't working properly, but could be many digestive problems, though the fact that it is right sided suggests gallbladder issues.

Gallbladder pain is usually accompanied by nausea, sickness and diarrhoea. I had loss of appetite and severe tiredness even before my gallbladder pains started. Pain near the right shoulder blade is common. Some get right sided headaches. Not everyone has every symptom.

It would do no harm to try eating a low fat diet for a while to see if this helps. I reduced my attacks from four days at a time to three or four hours eating low fat. The attacks were less frequent and not as severe.

If it is gallbladder, the waiting lists are long. I was silly. When I had an attack, I went to bed and gritted my teeth. So, as far as the hospital was concerned, I was coping with my symptoms. I should have gone to A&E when I had bad attacks and they may have operated sooner. I developed jaundice and ended up in hospital for a week in danger of septic shock, but it was still four months later that I was offered a cancellation.

Good luck for the scan. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thankyou. Ive started a low fat/ no fat diet. The pain is there constantly its a dull ache most of the time, with sharp spasms when i eat. I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

Hi i have managed to have my ct scan moved forward its tommorow. Im still having a constant dull pain in my right side and now a gurgling around my gallbladder. Alot of strange goings on. Paim also goimg round into my back and shoulder
    • Posted

Wow that's good!

Anything that speeds up the process.

CT scan is weird. I was given something to drink first. Then told to stay completely still so I was expecting it to take some time like with an MRI scan. He did warn me that it might feel like I was peeing myself but reassured me that nobody ever actually did. Then he injected into my cannula. There was a warm flush all over my body, then I thought 'oh no! I'm the one who has passed urine!' . But then I realised I hadn't. It literally was all over in seconds. Just thought I'd mention it in case they don't warn you!!

Good luck for tomorrow!

• Posted

Hi

Had my ct scan on fri, yes ur right the dye does give u a weird sensation. Anyway been to the drs today, guess what ct is clear. But still getting pain, go has referred me to the surgeons. So god knows what will happen next. Really fed up if im honest.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.