Rush or wave of adrenaline/anxiety when falling asleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone. Week three of Prozac and can't take the insomnia. I get rushes of adrenaline when falling to sleep when I try to take a much needed nap. It's an awful feeling which I haven't heard much talk about. Anyone else experience this? Does it go away?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I used to get the fidgets really bad when I tried to sleep, couldn't sit still and didn't want to be in my own skin! My Dr prescribed some over the counter antihistamine. They worked a treat called phenergan (10mg) they worked a treat, just took the edge off but aren't addictive. I would put my PJs on take two and then sit with a cup of tea and try and relax until I felt myself falling asleep then I would go to bed! Worked a treat, and felt so much better for a good nights sleep!!!

Kate

• Posted

I'm glad you mentioned that Kate. I think I'm gonna ask my doc for that as well instead of the Ativan. I've had phenergan in the past when I had a really bad stomach virus the doc gave me those and I slept so good!

• Posted

Are you taking anything in addition to? I'm on day 15 of 10mg and my doc gave me Ativan to take to help me sleep at night, or during day of my anxiety starts up. It is normal when you first start meds to have increased anxiety. The .5mg Ativan seems to help, I take 2 at night and sleep about 8 hours

• Posted

Thanks smn and Kate. My doc prescribed Hydroxyzine, which is a script for the OTC antihistamine you take. It does put me to sleep most nights but hangover the next day for a bit. The rush of anxiety is hard to describe. I saw my psychiatrist today and she is taking me off Prozac and back onto Zoloft. I dread the switch. But I am trying to trust her to do what's best. Smn, yes! The anxiety increases the first two weeks of antidepressants. It's horrible. Thought I was going to end up at the hospital. I am praying this switch doesn't do that. Saying lots of prayers.

• Posted

Hey Lisa keep going with this it does pass but you have to stick with it. I have been on this for around 1 year and feeling fantastic, keep going x
    • Posted

Thank you Sally! But may I ask did you get those waves of panicky or anxiety feelings when trying to take a nap or go to sleep?
    • Posted

It has been 2 weeks since I started fluoxetine and I have not been able to take a nap. I get about 7 hours at night, but I can't take naps like I used to. I really wish I could! Maybe in a few more weeks when the med becomes more stabilized and I'm not feeling anxious anymore!

• Posted

if you are getting 7 hours of sleep a night you are doing fantastic! That's wonderful for you. That is a good sign that Fluox is a good match for you. Hang in there! Yesterday my physc doc and I decided to switch me back to Zoloft because It worked for me before. I just couldn't deal with the insomnia of flux. Good luck and I will check on your progress. I am following a Sertaline discussion as well.

• Posted

I take it at night around 8. But i also take .5mg of Ativan around 9 so that maybe what's helping me sleep. I haven't tried to take the flux without it yet. But I'm hopeful!! I'm only on day 16!

• Posted

I have done Xanaz to sleep too. And temazepam. Oh boy. And then I am afraid of getting withdrawals from sleeping pills! It's crazy. Day 16? You are just a few days behind me. Seems like we are all waiting for week six. It will happen for us. 

• Posted

Me too! I am so thankful that God has given chemists and doctors the wisdom to find and create medications that help us. I will pray for both of us. We just need to stay the course.
    • Posted

Hey Lisa

When do you take your medication?  I used to get the panicky attacks when I was taking my tablet in the morning plus waves of sickness at around 4 in the afternoon.  A friend suggested that I take the medication just after my evening meal, that really seems to work>

Keep going honey it is all worth it in the end. xxx

• Posted

Thank you Sally. I will keep going. Prayers for peace for all of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.