s

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is my second knee replacement and have to say every person and every knee is healing differently.Im 4 weeks in to recovery and it is the worst at night time...sleep? Whats that..?totally backwards in time right now.Have to say ..since my 1st knee replacement have learned...dont be brave ...take pain meds...regularly and keep in your system or you wont be able to move and do your therepy. If what you have meds. wise doesnt work ...get them to give you something that does..Id say...first 8wks..are crazy ..after that starts to work in your favor.Ice is very important,helps keep swelling down and inflamation thats what makes it harder to move.I will agree that once you get passed 6 to 8 months you will be glad you had it done.although I realize there are those few exceptions.Trying to stay hopeful going through this my second time around knowing this will eventual feel better.My first knee has some tightness at times but atleast no more pain from bone on bone. Getti g older makes things ache unfortunatly. Glad im on the recovery side of things now. Hoping I help someone to feel that it does eventually get better.good luck to you all.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well done you for having the second knee done!! How long was it between knees? I had RTKR August 2015 and fully agree it takes time! someone once said to me it takes 18 months to 2 years till you fully own the implant, which I am finding to be true.

Trying to spin out my left knee for as long as possible with steroid injections etc. Hoping for another year. Fingers crossed! 

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi linda...its been 1 yr since my first replacement and hhonestly dreaded having to go thru it again but I knew that if I could get thru the first 4 weeks id be on my way because bone on bone is definately not fun to endure.I will say..the second time around I was suggested to have physical therepy to strenghten my leg before surgery so recovery would be faster and more doable and I must say its true.ive been able to reach my flexion with more ease and my therapy has been much more tolerable.food for though to anyone getting ready for tkr.good luck to all.
  • Posted

My pain is nerve pain.  The swelling is going down and I do my excersises every day x 3.  It's the nerve pain that is exhausting. During the day, I deal with take my meds etc but sitting, I get a shooting pain. Down my leg. Other times it's as tho my thigh has got pins and needles. Front of my lower leg and calf it feel so heavy and a deep ache.   I've taken nerve meds to little avail.  The doses  of Lirica or Pregabalin were too low.  Yesterday my doc upped the Lirica to 300 Gm and I slept  for the first time in weeks.

• Posted

Im happy to hear that you were able to get some sleep and that hopefully get the strenght in your body to recover.pain stinks!!!! wish you well on your way to recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks Michael,  I'm becoming aware that small positive steps forward will get me to my goal.  The lack of sleep was the worst part of it. My nerve pain was the cause of no sleep but luckily the Lirica helped as well as the pain killers. I won't use the same dosage during the day but will at night.  The Dr told me to use the same dosage day and night which would make me completely zoned out during the day. 

Im grateful that my range of movement is improving as well as the swelling going down ...life is good and looks wonderful after a good nights sleep

thanks for your support 

kind regards, 

Ellen from Australia 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.