S1 joints after knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

14 weeks along after total knee replacement, about 6 weeks after starting getting lower back pain, xrays show inflamation in S1 joints, very painful have tried tens, chiro, massage, any suggestions on how to ease this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

FRASER .....I am 15 weeks since my replacement TKR and this week my back has been very painful....feels like the start of back spasms. this is my 3 rd TKR and this is new for me.

• Posted

Happened to me. i asked my PT to give me things to do to help. it slowly got better. we did some back traction also. it took about 3 horrible months. The relief was gradual. Now two months later i still can feel it slightly, keeps reminding me its there but so much better. Now I feel the operation was worth it!

• Posted

S1 is a vertebral space...as in L5/S1 or S1/S2. SI joints connect the spine to the hips. I have had many cases of locked SI joints over the years. I was taught a few special exercises to loosen them up. Combining those with chiropractic has always worked for me...not easy to unlock the SIs... I got my post--TKR sciatica (very common) at 5 weeks. Massive hip misalignment plus locked SI joints. Took me and the chiro about a month to get everything working correctly again.

• Posted

thanks for the feedback, it has been about two months for me of this pain and trying discover the cause, not easy when you are a senior on a fixed income, hard not to have anxiety issues, they really donot prepare or support you very well. But am starting some pt next week so hopefully this will change. I am glad this site is available for some feedback.

• Posted

When my back acts up, I do use moist heat with a heating pad. It seems to loosen up and I know wont correct your problem, but does help alleviate some discomfort. I like the moist heat, even though it can make your clothing kind of soggy,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.