Posted , 4 users are following.
Hi, I am booked in for a spinal fusion in the S1/L5 lumbar region on 6th Nov. I have pre op this Friday and need to decide what to do by Wednesday in case I want to cancel. I had a severe prolapsed disc just over a year ago and it was agonising, back spasms, sciatica and severe pain for about 8 weeks. I was diagnosed with a prolapsed disc and degenerative disc disease. At the time I was offered a steroid injection but I turned it down as the pain was decreasing by that point and was maneagable. The pain went away until August this year when the same disc prolapsed again. I had another MRI and they confirmed the disc degenration was a bit worse and I had another prolapse (although smaller than the first time). I was again offered the injection but told it would only settle it down and obviously wont cure the degenration so it will happen again. The specialist has recommended a minimally invasive lumbar spin fusion to prevent further prolapses. At the time I agreed but the pain has now gone again and I am now torn about what to do. It doesnt help that I have general anxiety disorder so am worried about all the potential complications. I am getting married in May and would hate to have another prolpase and it cause me problems on my wedding day, but I just dnt know wether to have surgery while I am not in pain?? Has anyone had the surgery and can you recommend what is best to do?
1 like, 30 replies